Agyrem was the Ghost Quarter of Ravnica, where the ghosts of those who died lingered, instead of passing on. The laws of the broken Guildpact remained effective there. It has been described as a "blister" on the plane of Ravnica.
The Schism, a rift that gave access to Aygrem, was accidentally created by Zomaj Hauc in 9965 Z.C., when the Izzet magelord tried to create a living space for the ancient dragons that he was trying to breed. Niv-Mizzet and Hauc later planned to use the power of the souls trapped in the Schism to bring the dragons to life. That plan was foiled when Hauc betrayed Niv-Mizzet, and the hatchlings were killed by Teysa Karlov, Agrus Kos and their friends.
After the vampire parun Szadek had become a ghost, he took over the district, which had fused with the rest of Ravnica. Razia, the Boros guildmaster and parun, flew the warship Parhelion through the Schism to do battle with Szadek and his spectral army in Agyrem. In the ensuing battle Razia was killed, along with countless Boros angels. After Agrus Kos apprehended Szadek, the vampire was banished into Agyrem, which was then magically laid on top of Ravnica due to The Schism being healed.
The overlay of Agyrem remained on Ravnica until the Mending, when the Ravnican ghost-world anomaly was dissolved, and the trapped spirits were able to pass on to the aether. What remains from the Ghost Quarter has been reduced three times in size.
- Represented in:
- Doug Beyer (September 02, 2009). "The Planes of Planechase". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Cory J. Herndon (2006), Dissension. Wizards of the Coast
- Cory J. Herndon. (2006.) Ravnica Cycle, Book II: Guildpact, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee (August 29, 2012). "Ravnica, Then and Now". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
- Nicky Drayden (February 27, 2019). "The Ascension of Reza". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.