|God of Wisdom|
Description[edit | edit source]
Alrund appears an an bald, old man with one eye and a grey beard. He has a Cosmic raven, Hakka, who flies into all realms to collect knowledge. Depending on his mood, Alrund wavers between distinct personalities. When he's pondering something important, he is distant and speaks only in insufferable, maddening riddles. But when he's happy and relaxed, he is excellent company: an accomplished storyteller and entertainer who loves a good feast.
History[edit | edit source]
Alrund was born wise, but that meant he was wise enough to know that he didn't know everything. So, in his youth, he undertook a quest to become the wisest being in all the realms. When the Cosmos monsters came into being, all the secrets of the world—including events that had not yet happened—were locked away inside their minds. By making every Cosmos monster submit to him one by one over the course of centuries, Alrund was able to take their secrets from them. Much to his disappointment, this long quest did not make him truly omniscient, enlightening as it was. Kaldheim still holds secrets he hasn't learned.
While Alrund was on his quest to ﬁght every Cosmos monster, he discovered an orphaned baby in a giant eagle's nest on Axgard. Alrund adopted the baby as his son and named him Halvar, but he was too preoccupied with his quest to take the boy back to the Gods' Realm at the time. He left the boy as a ward of the dwarf king for twenty years, until he remembered to come back for him as promised.
As Asi, he joined up with Inga Rune-Eyes and the planeswalker Kaya to hunt an extremely dangerous monster that already had caused destruction on the plane. This turned out to be none other than Vorinclex, one of New Phyrexia's 's praetors. Reaching Aldergard forest, the party engaged Vorinclex who almost managed to defeat them if not for Alrund revealing himself and using his magic to create a mystical barrier between Vorinclex and Inga's people and the praetor left Bretagard, with Kaya soon following.
Story appearances[edit | edit source]
|Title||Author||Publishing date||Set||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Episode 1: Travelers||Roy Graham with contributions by Jenna Helland||2021-01-07||Kaldheim||Kaldheim||Kaya, Inga, Alrund, Hakka, Vorinclex|
|Episode 5: The Battle for Kaldheim||Roy Graham with contributions by Jenna Helland||2021-02-03||Kaldheim||Kaldheim||Kaya, Tyvar Kell, Arni, Fynn, Inga, Sigrid, Alrund, Hakka, Varragoth, Cosima, Harald, Halvar, Koma, Niko Aris, Esika, Vorinclex|
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Alrund is based on Odin, the ruler of the Aesir gods in Norse mythology, who sent his ravens Huginn and Muninn to collect knowledge.
- The meaning of Alrund's name is uncertain. It could be a junction of alla ("all") and run ("lore"), but names ending in run with this meaning are female (e.g., Sigrund).
- Mímir can be another deity of knowledge used as inspiration for the character.
References[edit | edit source]
- Nick Miller (October 20, 2020). "WizKids Announces Third Wave of MTG Unpainted Miniatures". StarCityGames.
- Ari Zirulnik (January 8, 2021). "Planeswalker's Guide to Kaldheim, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Roy Graham (January 8, 2021). "Episode 1: Travelers". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.}
- Kaldheim Fest (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.
- Ari Zirulnik and Jenna Helland (January 21, 2021). "The Legends of Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Roy Graham (February 03, 2021). "Episode 5: The Battle for Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 25, 2021). "Kaldheim Storytime, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.