|(Subtype for instant/sorcery spells)|
93 cardsas of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
16.1% 24.7% 20.4% 24.7% 14%
Arcane is a spell type, a subtype seen exclusively on instants and sorceries. The Arcane spell type was introduced in Kamigawa block and marks spells cast by the numerous spirits of that plane. In this sense, Arcane was a precursor to tribal spells.
Arcane is similar to a creature type in that it does not affect the casting of the spell, but there are several cards that interact with Arcane cards, most notably the cards with splice and Spiritcraft. Because Arcane was the parasitic part of the "Splice onto Arcane" mechanic (Arcane cards only appear in the Kamigawa block) its return is unlikely. If it would flavorfully fit, it could return in connection to another mechanic. Arcane is currently a 9 on the Storm Scale.
- 205.3k Instants and sorceries share their lists of subtypes; these subtypes are called spell types. The spell types are Adventure, Arcane, Lesson, and Trap.
- Mark Rosewater (September 6, 2004). "Arcane and Able". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (June 17, 2005). "The Cost of Arcane". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Devin Low (October 12, 2007). "Surprising Subtypes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 09, 2016). "Just making this clear, Splice isn't parasitic, but Splice onto Arcane is, right?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 29, 2016). "If Splice was brought back, would Arcane be brought back to allow more nuance or would you just go with Splice onto Instant/Sorcery?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 27, 2018). "If you were creating a new mechanic that calls for an instant/sorcery subtype and "arcane" fit flavorfully, might you use it?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 27, 2018). "Where are splice and arcane on the storm scale?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic Arcana (April 13, 2005). "Arcane Sketches". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.