|Multiple Card Types|
Artifact creatures are both artifacts and creatures and therefore the rules for both apply to them. In most settings they are colorless, but occasionally they are either colored or strongly affiliated with a color.
In the beginning artifact creatures didn't have a creature type, but that slowly changed. The first artifact creatures to bear a subtype were Obsianus Golem and Lead Golem from Sixth Edition. With the Grand Creature Type Update an "every creature has a creature type" policy was adopted, so lots of artifact creatures gained subtypes at that moment. Artifact creatures can have artifact types in addition to creature types. Gingerbrute for example is a Golem (creature type) and Food (artifact type).
By and large, most artifact creatures are robots of some sort, and were fashioned out of metal, glass or stone by other creatures or planeswalkers. As such, decks heavy on artifact creatures are often called "Robots" decks.
- Artifact Creature
- A combination of artifact and creature that’s subject to the rules for both. See rule 301, “Artifacts,” and rule 302, “Creatures.”
A number of creature types are usually associated with artifact creatures.
A Construct is the Magic equivalent of a robot, a magically or mechanically animated device, usually with a pedal propulsion method. They come in a wide variety, but often imitate organical lifeforms.
Scarecrows are artifact creatures native to Shadowmoor and lead by the Reaper King. Originally they were constructed by the Kithkin to help them with farming, but outlived the Kithkin and have taken lives for their own. Mechanically they often deal with colors and -1/-1 counters.
- Triskelavite, Tetravite and Pentavite
- The Kamigawa block and the Lorwyn block feature no artifact creatures at all, the former having immediately followed the artifact creature-heavy Mirrodin block.
- In the Grand Creature Type Update, the subtype Twin for a token created by Gemini Engine was changed into a Construct token "named Twin".
- Master of Etherium is an artifact creature Lord.
- Out of all the artifact creatures in the Shadowmoor block, only one (Altar Golem) is not a Scarecrow.