She once summoned a Lord of the Pit named Vincent for a duel but ran out of stuff to feed it. She escaped being eaten herself by entering into his service as a chef for seven years and seven days. She offered to feed him a new dish every single meal so long as he didn't eat her. Vincent agreed, but only on the condition that if he ever became bored with her dishes, he'd have her for the next meal.
Asmor managed to surprise Vincent with every dish that she prepared, and near the end of her service he became wistful and offered her a full job cooking for him without a threat of death. She just wanted to get out of Hell, so Vincent asked her to collect all her recipes for him for when she left. She agreed, but only if she could make copies to sell in the overworld. About 20 copies of the Underworld Cookbook were made, but only two were sold in five months (one to Vincent and one to her mother).
So disgusted with the failure of the cookbook, Asmor told her imps to incinerate the rest of them. The imps got lazy on their way to the furnace and just tossed the books into lava, which didn't singe them, so they threw them into a garbage chute, which exited in the overworld. After the books were found, people started trying to put together her recipes and they ended up being all the rage in the high courts. A lot of ogres, gargoyles, throat wolves, and other creatures that she had described as delicious were now hunted as ingredients. This meant that they had a huge grudge against Asmor and tried to track her down to kill her as soon as she got free.
She decided to write a second volume to the cookbook to get the monsters off her back with entries like "1,001 ways to prepare elf" and a number of dishes aimed at serving the upper class, including methods for preparing goblin princes, dwarven councilors, and elven aristocrats.
The Underworld Cookbook
- Honey-baked breast of granite gargoyle
- Gray Ogre toes in a sweet black sauce
- Sautéed beebles
- Cubed pegasus in red sauce with dragonfly garnish
- Basilisk eyes in Jasconius paste
- Atog pâté on honey-soaked ironroot bark
- Barbecued Throat Wolf ribs with cornbread and baked beans
- Great Wurm soup with basil
- Frozen Sprite Delight with chocolate sauce
- A dish including marinated Dragon foot
- Deep-fried Dryad bark pancakes with maple syrup
- Stuffed Dryad leaves appetizer
- Sesame Hydra salad, with mushrooms and pecans
- Ghazban Ogre tenderloin with mint sauce
- Benalish babies with marjoram
- Vodalian caviar
- Crisped Serra Angel wings, breaded with crumbled bees
- Shanodin salad
- Sugar-frosted Cockatrice giblets in marionberry sauce
- Dragon egg omelets with cheddar and pepper berries
- Hurloon tartar with horseradish
- Takklemaggot jam
The Underworld Cookbook, Volume Two
- Elf toes in green sauce
- Goblin cobbler in sauce of "most sincere" zealot
- 1,001 ways to prepare elf
- A dish including goblin prince
- A dish including dwarven councilor
- A dish including elven aristocrat
- Represented in:
- Associated cards:
- Depicted in:
- Quoted or referred to:
- Ethan Fleischer (September 6, 2019). "Pronouncing Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar". Twitter.
- Chef's Surprise by Sonia Orin Lyris from the Distant Planes Anthology
- Aaron Forsythe (May 26, 2021). "Challenge Accepted!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ethan Fleischer (June 10, 2021). "The Returning Legends of Modern Horizons 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Granite Gargoyle flavor text
- Lightning Axe flavor text
- Marble Gargoyle flavor text
- Sauté flavor text