Battle for Zendikar block
The Battle for Zendikar block is composed of the large expansion Battle for Zendikar () and the small expansion Oath of the Gatewatch (). Battle for Zendikar block was the first block to follow the Two-Block Paradigm after the mini-blocks of Lorwyn and Shadowmoor.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Battle for Zendikar block was released over 2015–2016. The block focuses on the battle between the Eldrazi and the Zendikari. The colorless matters theme of the block interacts with the morph variants of the previous block. In retrospect, Mark Rosewater expressed regret that R&D hadn't focused on the popular "adventure world"-theme of the Zendikar block, instead of on the less popular Eldrazi.
Mechanics introduced in this block:
- from Battle for Zendikar: Devoid, Ingest, Rally, Awaken, and Converge.
- from Oath of the Gatewatch: Support, Cohort, Surge, and Colorless mana costs.
Mechanics reused from the past:
- from Zendikar: Landfall.
Sets[edit | edit source]
Masterpieces[edit | edit source]
Mega cycle[edit | edit source]
|Enemy colored Tapland Manlands||Shambling Vent (Battle for Zendikar)||Wandering Fumarole (Oath of the Gatewatch)||Hissing Quagmire (Oath of the Gatewatch)||Needle Spires (Oath of the Gatewatch)||Lumbering Falls (Battle for Zendikar)|
|Five lands that can turn into creatures until end of turn. One rare for each enemy color pair, able to produce either color and enters the Battlefield tapped. This cycle completes the enemy color megacycle of tapped manlands that started in Battle for Zendikar as well as the larger Mega-Mega Cycle stared in Worldwake.|
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
The Battle for Zendikar block was initially planned as a block of three sets, featuring an Eldrazi titan in each expansion. But due the entrance of the Two-Block Paradigm, the third set was cut (and thus Emrakul whisked away of Zendikar).
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (May 9, 2016). "Because Salt Makes Mistakes Taste Great". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 23, 2015). "Battle for Zendikar Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (September 7, 2015). ""Creature" Lands". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2015). "Is BFZ going to have all 5 enemy-colors manlands?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 03, 2016). "Was the original plan that the third set would be Emrakul's?". Blogatog. Tumblr.