The Black Lotus is the single most valuable normally printed card in the game of Magic printed in a standard set. Due to its fast mana acceleration, it is also a member of the Power Nine, nine notoriously powerful cards from the original Magic print runs.
Printed as one of the Power Nine only in Alpha, Beta and Unlimited, this artifact can provide a free mana boost for any deck. It is restricted in Vintage and banned in Legacy. Christopher Rush drew its original artwork.
On February 27th, 2019, a "Gem Mint 9.5 grade" Beckett Grading Services graded Alpha Black Lotus was bought on eBay for a record $166,100. On January 27, 2021, a "Gem Mint 10 grade" was sold for $511,100.
Originally, Magic did not limit the number of copies of a card you could play in a deck; this allowed first-turn wins with decks comprised of twenty Black Lotus, twenty Channel, and twenty Fireball. The four-of maximum was quickly added to the rules to avoid this, and Black Lotus and Channel were later restricted or banned in their environments to make this even less likely.
Black lotuses have appeared in numerous Magic storyline arcs. A black lotus, House Carthalion's most powerful relic, was discovered by a young Adam Carthalion and was kept in House Scarlet in Arathoxia. Jared Carthalion stole it after the Mistress of House Scarlet let him in and showed it to him, and later used it to summon a Shivan Dragon to kill Ravidel at Castle Melmereth.
- The smuggling of rare "black lotuses" was alluded to in the computer game Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
- Black Lotus is also featured as a card in the Japanese TCG Duel Masters, which is likewise published by Wizards of the Coast.
- Garth One-Eye can create a copy of Black Lotus.
- The Price of a Black Lotus is $166,100
- A Black Lotus just set the record for most expensive playing card ever sold on ebay. Reddit (January 27, 2021).
- Most Expensive Magic: The Gathering Card. Most Expensive Journal (March 17, 2008). Archived from the original on February 11, 2010. Retrieved on December 6, 2009.
- Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
- Ethan Fleischer (May 25, 2021). "Garth One-Eye". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (August 31, 2006). "Portfolio of the Lotus". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 20, 2019). "Lotus's Legacy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.