The Blind Eternities is a term commonly used by planeswalkers to refer to the space between planes in the Multiverse which is filled with chaotic energies, mainly the Aether but also mana and temporal energy. During the time of the Thran, this space was also referred to as the Corridors of Time, the Halls of Time, and the Bastard Plane.
Only planeswalkers and the most powerful, godlike beings can enter the Blind Eternities and survive its rough environment. The planeswalker Jaya Ballard recalls that even ghosts may die in the Blind Eternities.
The Aether takes part in summoning creatures, from which that creature materializes, or is pulled from. Much about the blind eternities is still unknown. There does appear to be some basic concept of being "between" two points in the Blind Eternities. However, according to Mark Rosewater, they are more like a doorway rather than a physical space. He argues that planeswalkers might experience the Blind Eternities and relate it to an experience they understand, experiencing it as a place while it isn’t one because it has no substance, area or locality.
- Referred to:
Notes and references
- The Nether Void and the Abyss may be its alternate names.
- Brady Dommermuth (April 14, 2004). "What is the Æther?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (January 3, 2007). "What exactly is "Æther" (and what is its correct pronunciation)?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (August 16, 2007). "You Are a Planeswalker". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- J. Robert King. (1999.) The Thran, Wizards of the Coast. ISBN-13 0-7869-1600-1.
- Greg Weisman (November 2019). "War of the Spark: Forsaken". Del Rey.
- The Lithomancer. magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 30, 2019). "Will we ever see the act of planeswalking depicted in card art?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 31, 2019). "MANY stories from both the novels and the stories on the site would argue otherwise as planeswalkers can and have stopped in the Eternities at times for various reasons.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 31, 2019). "Just about every work of magic fiction makes the blind eternities out to be a physical place". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 31, 2019). "If the blind eternities are not a place, how did the Eldrazi exist (mostly) within them?". Blogatog. Tumblr.