|Reminder Text||Boast — [Activated ability] (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)|
26.7% 26.7% 40% 6.7%
Description[edit | edit source]
Boast adds a drawback to an activated ability which is referred as the boast ability. The drawback is as follows: a player can only activate the boast ability after the creature with the ability attacks and at most once each turn. Boast abilities can be activated during combat or even after combat — any time in the turn after the creature was declared as an attacker.
Cards interacting with Boast[edit | edit source]
- Birgi, God of Storytelling allows a second Boast ability activation.
- Dragonkin Berserker reduces Boast abilities by for each Dragon you control.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- A boast ability can be activated at any point after the creature with that ability has been declared as an attacker. This can be before blockers are declared, after blockers are declared but before combat damage is dealt, during combat after combat damage is dealt, during the postcombat main phase, during the end step, or, in some unusual cases, during the cleanup step.
- If it's not your turn and you gain control of a creature with a boast ability after that creature attacked, you can activate that creature's boast ability if it hasn't been activated yet that turn.
- If a creature with a boast ability is put onto the battlefield attacking, it was never declared as an attacker. Its boast ability can't be activated that turn.
- If an effect adds additional combat phases to a turn and a creature with a boast ability attacks more than once during that turn, its boast ability can still be activated only once.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Legendary Creature — Human Berserker
Boast — : You may change Arni Brokenbrow's base power to 1 plus the greatest power among other creature you control until end of turn. (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Creature — Demon Rogue
Boast — : Target player searches their library for a card, then shuffles their library and puts that card on top of it. (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak (December 7, 2020). "Kaldheim Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 11, 2021). "Boast really feels like an ability word but it’s formatted completely differently?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 11, 2021). "So a card could say "When a creature boasts"?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Matt Tabak (January 22, 2021). "Kaldheim Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Humpherys (January 19, 2021). "Leading Kaldheim Set Design". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.