|Reminder Text||Boast — [Cost]: [Effect] (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)|
26.7% 26.7% 40% 6.7%
Boast keyword adds a drawback to an activated ability which is referred as the boast ability. The drawback is as follows: a player can only activate the boast ability after the creature with the ability attacks and at most once each turn. Boast abilities can be activated during combat or even after combat — any time in the turn after the creature was declared as an attacker.
Cards interacting with Boast
- Birgi, God of Storytelling allows a second Boast ability activation.
- Dragonkin Berserker reduces Boast abilities by for each Dragon you control.
- A special kind of activated ability that can be activated only once each turn if the creature with the boast ability attacked that turn. See rule 702.142, “Boast.”
- 702.142. Boast
- 702.142a A boast ability is a special kind of activated ability. “Boast — [Cost]: [Effect]” means “[Cost]: [Effect]. Activate only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.”
- 702.142b Effects may refer to boast abilities. If an effect refers to a creature boasting, it means its boast ability being activated.
- A boast ability can be activated at any point after the creature with that ability has been declared as an attacker. This can be before blockers are declared, after blockers are declared but before combat damage is dealt, during combat after combat damage is dealt, during the postcombat main phase, during the end step, or, in some unusual cases, during the cleanup step.
- If it's not your turn and you gain control of a creature with a boast ability after that creature attacked, you can activate that creature's boast ability if it hasn't been activated yet that turn.
- If a creature with a boast ability is put onto the battlefield attacking, it was never declared as an attacker. Its boast ability can't be activated that turn.
- If an effect adds additional combat phases to a turn and a creature with a boast ability attacks more than once during that turn, its boast ability can still be activated only once.
Legendary Creature — Human Berserker
Boast — : You may change Arni Brokenbrow's base power to 1 plus the greatest power among other creature you control until end of turn. (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Legendary Creature — Demon Rogue
Boast — : Target player searches their library for a card, then shuffles their library and puts that card on top of it. (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)
- Matt Tabak (December 7, 2020). "Kaldheim Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 11, 2021). "Boast really feels like an ability word but it’s formatted completely differently?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 11, 2021). "So a card could say "When a creature boasts"?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Matt Tabak (January 22, 2021). "Kaldheim Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Humpherys (January 19, 2021). "Leading Kaldheim Set Design". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.