Non-league players earn invitation to the post-season Challenger Gauntlet based on their performance in any Split Championship. The Challenger Gauntlet provides direct invitations to the MPL and Rivals League as well as additional opportunities through qualification to the Rivals Gauntlet.
2020–21 Players Tour Season
The competitors of the 2021 Challenger Gauntlet are invited from each 2020-2021 season Split Championship based on final standings:
- The eight (8) highest finishing Challengers in the event; or
- The Challengers who finished the event with a record of 11-4 or better (whichever of the two is the greater number of Challengers).
- Top 4 receive invitation to Magic World Championship XXVII and the MPL for the following season.
- Players that finish 5th through 12th receive invitation to the Rivals Gauntlet.
- All other Challengers will receive invitation to a future event in the 2021–22 Players Tour Season.
In May 2021, Magic Esports announced a return to in-person play post COVID-19 for the 2022–23 Players Tour Season. Although digital play was considered here to stay it was supposed to be only part of the equation going forward. As a result, the 2021–22 Players Tour Season is going to be the last season featuring the MPL and the Rivals League. Players will not be competing for another League season. Instead, they'll be competing for a place in the World Championship.
- Ben Drago and Bear Watson (August 27, 2020). "Esports Update: Changes to 2020-2021 Magic Pro League Play". Magic.gg.
- Wizards of the Coast (May 13, 2021). "Esports: Transistions And Getting Back To The Gathering". Magic.gg.