Cocks came to WotC from Microsoft, where he had been Vice President OEM Technical Sales. His more relevant experience comes from a two-year stint at LeapFrog from 2006-2008, where Cocks was a Vice President running the company’s $250M Learning Games unit, and during an earlier period as Group Product Manager at Microsoft Xbox, where he led portfolio planning and go-to-market strategies for the company’s action games.
Cocks’ digital background is an important component of his experience, and was one the reasons for getting hired. In January 2017, he incorporated both the Digital R&D team and the Magic Online team into the Digital Games Studio. Under his lead, in February 2021, Wizards of the Coast was reformed into one of three new divisions of Hasbro.
In January, 2022, Hasbro named Chris Cocks as its new CEO. He succeeded Hasbro's longtime CEO Brian Goldner, who died in October 2021. Cocks' position as President of WotC was taken over by Cynthia Williams.
- Hasbro Announces New Leadership for Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro Press release)
- Milton Griepp (April 11, 2016) Wizards of the Coasts CEO Resigns. Replaced by Microsoft Exec. ICv2
- Zac Clark (February 7, 2018). "Wizards of the Coast President Chris Cocks Has Solid Nerd Credentials", Hipstersofthecoast.com
- Chris Cocks (January 12, 2017). "Making Moves". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- David McCoy (February 25, 2021). "Wizards of the Coast is Now a Division of Hasbro, Will Lead Digital Licensing Initiatives". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Hipsters of the Coast (January 5, 2022). "Hasbro has named Chris Cocks as its new CEO". Twitter.
- Hasbro Names Chris Cocks as Chief Executive Officer (Hasbro Press release)