The color indicator (, , , , ) is a characteristic of an object. It is printed to the left of the type line directly below the illustration. It consists of a circular symbol filled in with typically one but sometimes more colors. A color indicator is usually found on cards without a mana cost that however have to convey color information.
The color indicator was introduced with Innistrad to define the colors of the back faces of double-faced cards without resorting to characteristic-defining abilities. With the following Oracle update, some cards (such as Crimson Kobolds and Evermind) received errata, removing a characteristic-defining ability defining the card's color, and receiving a color indicator instead. This produced some functional changes, such as Crimson Kobolds being affected by Muraganda Petroglyphs, and players being unable to splice Evermind onto Arcane spells in order to change the original spell's color.
Multicolored color indicators
Only a few multicolored color indicators exist, as it usually requires the backside of a DFC being multicolored, a narrow intersection of mechanical design. Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is unique in that the name length prevents having a conventional mana cost.
- Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon ()
- Ravager of the Fells ()
- Ulrich, Uncontested Alpha ()
- Garruk, the Veil-Cursed ()
- Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar ()
For a while, Transguild Courier featured a five-colored indicator () in Gatherer but was never printed with it. When a five-colored indicator was considered for Sphinx of the Guildpact, no version was deemed suitable. This resulted in the use of rules text, and a similar oracle update for Transguild Courier.
- Color Indicator
- A characteristic of an object. See rule 105, “Colors,” and rule 204, “Color Indicator.”
- 204. Color Indicator
- 204.1. The color indicator is printed to the left of the type line directly below the illustration. It consists of a circular symbol filled in with one or more colors. A color indicator is usually found on nonland cards without a mana cost.
- 204.2. An object with a color indicator is each color denoted by that color indicator.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 28, 2011). "Double-Faced Card Rules". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 15, 2019). "Why isnt there a 5 color color indicator on...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Eli Shiffrin (January 22, 2019). "Ravnica Allegiance Oracle Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.