|Symbol description||A shield with thorns|
|Design||Ethan Fleischer (lead) |
Corey Bowen (lead)|
April 17, 2020 (Asia)|
May 15, 2020 (other)
|Themes and mechanics||Experience counters, keyword counters|
|Keywords/ability words||Cycling, delve, goad, monstrosity, mutate, partner with, scavenge, strive|
|Set size||Five 100-card decks|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Commander 2020 or Ikoria Commander, officially styled as Commander (2020 Edition), and also marketed as Commander: Ikoria and as the Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Commander decks, is a product in the Commander series released by Wizards of the Coast. The set was released on the same day as Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, and is marketed as an integral part of that set. It was originally scheduled to be released on April 24, 2020. Due to the 2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic, the release was advanced to April 17 for Asia, and delayed until May 15, 2020 for the other continents.
Commander 2020 consists of five preconstructed theme decks, the first time since Commander 2016, and features twenty premium foil commanders. The five 100-card decks contain 322 different cards in total. There are 71 new cards legal in Vintage and Legacy. These are set in the world of Ikoria, though the reprints can be from anywhere. There are a handful of cards from the main Ikoria set in the reprint slots, but the number is fairly small. These Ikoria reprints retain the Ikoria expansion symbol and collector numbers. All other cards, including the other reprints and the new cards, have their own expansion symbol and set code (C20) to set them apart.
Each package contains 1 foil oversized Commander card, a 100 card deck, 10 double-sided tokens, 1 deck box, 1 life wheel and keyword counter punch card. Each deck features 17 new cards, with some of them appearing in several decks. They also feature four legendary foils instead of the usual three, with two of them having partner with. The latter represent the bonders and their monsters from Ikoria.
Themes and mechanics
As the set is connected to Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, it also makes use of keyword counters. Note that double strike and indestructible counters only appear on cards in the C20-set, and don't appear on the Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths punch cards. There are also additional cards with mutate and cycling.
There are eight non-evergreen old mechanics returning on new cards, the designers not just holding themselves to mechanics in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths:
- Delve (Ethereal Forager)
- Devour (Ravenous Gigantotherium)
- Experience counters (Kelsien, the Plague)
- Goad (e.g. Agitator Ant)
- Monstrosity (Vitality Hunter)
- Partner with (e.g. Shabraz, the Skyshark)
- Scavenge (Boneyard Mycodrax)
- Strive (Call the Coppercoats)
|Symbiotic Swarm||W||B||G||Kathril, Aspect Warper|
|Ruthless Regiment||W||B||R||Jirina Kudro|
|Timeless Wisdom||W||U||R||Gavi, Nest Warden|
|Arcane Maelstrom||U||R||G||Kalamax, the Stormsire|
|Enhanced Evolution||U||B||G||Otrimi, the Ever-Playful|
Tokens and punch cards
- 4/4 Angel creature with flying, created by Decree of Justice and Descend upon the Sinful.
- 1/1 Bird creature with flying, created by Akim, the Soaring Wind and Migratory Route.
- 4/4 Elemental creature with flying, created by Hoofprints of the Stag.
- 1/1 Human creature, created by Increasing Devotion and Thraben Doomsayer.
- 1/1 Soldier creature, created by Decree of Justice.
- 1/1 Spirit with flying, created by Spirit Cairn.
- 1/1 Bird Illusion with flying, created by Murmuring Mystic.
- 2/2 Drake with flying, created by Drake Haven and Talrand, Sky Summoner.
- 2/2 Zombie creature, created by Xathrid Necromancer.
- 3/1 Elemental creature, created by Chandra, Flamecaller (even though her Elemental has haste).
- 4/4 Beast creature, created by Hunting Pack.
- 0/0 Hydra creature, created by Zaxara, the Exemplary.
- 1/1 Insect creature with flying and deathtouch, created by Hornet Queen.
- 1/1 Saproling creature, created by Artifact Mutation.
- 1/1 Snake creature, created by Xyris, the Writhing Storm.
- 2/2 Dinosaur Cat creature, created by Gavi, Nest Warden.
- 1/1 Goblin Warrior creature, created by Wort, the Raidmother.
- 1/1 Insect creature with flying and haste, created by The Locust God.
- Treasure artifact, created by Shiny Impetus and Surly Badgersaur.
The following tokens are created by cards in the decks and are thus included with the decks. However, they are not part of the Commander 2020 expansion. Instead, they retain their Ikoria expansion symbol and collector number:
- 1/1 Human Soldier creature, created by Bastion of Remembrance, Call the Coppercoats, Jirina Kudro, Trynn, Champion of Freedom and Valiant Rescuer.
- 8/8 Kraken creature, created by Ominous Seas.
- 3/3 Beast creature, created by Beast Within, Curious Herd, Sawtusk Demolisher and Trumpeting Gnarr.
There is also a set of double-sided punch cards included in the Symbiotic Swarm deck, with each featuring 6 punch-out keyword counters. Each card face has its own collector number. The first punch card is identical to the one present in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths.
|Punch card (from Ikoria)|
|Punch card (C20-only)|
Commander 2020 has seven cycles of new cards, including two partial cycles.
One double cycle of lands was reprinted. Each deck contains every card that can be included in the color identity.
|Bounce lands||Azorius Chancery||Dimir Aqueduct||Rakdos Carnarium||Gruul Turf||Selesnya Sanctuary||Orzhov Basilica||Izzet Boilerworks||Golgari Rot Farm||Boros Garrison||Simic Growth Chamber|
- Ethan Fleischer (April 2, 2020). "I lead the vision design for the Ikoria Commander set, but Corey's Set Design team did the dinosaur-cat's share of the design work.". Twitter.
- Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Credits. Magicthegathering.com (April 3, 2020).
- Gavin Verhey (October 30, 2019). "Big Things Are Coming for Commander in 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (April 3, 2020). "Ikoria Commander". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (March 26, 2020). "Changes to the Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Release Schedule". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (April 2, 2020). "Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (March 24, 2020). "More Ikoria Commander Hints from Gavin Verhey". Reddit.
- Kendall Pepple (April 9, 2020). "The Tokens of Ikoria and C20". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (May 4, 2020). "And the answer is YES, you can get the indestructible and double strike keyword counters!". Twitter.