|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Release date||April 23, 2021|
|Set size||Five 100-card decks|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Commander 2021, also referred to as Strixhaven Commander, officially styled as Commander (2021 Edition) and marketed as the Strixhaven: School of Mages Commander decks, is a product in the Commander series released by Wizards of the Coast. The set will be released on the same day as Strixhaven: School of Mages, and is marketed as an integral part of that set. It is scheduled to be released on April 23, 2021.
Commander 2021 consists of five preconstructed theme decks, similar to Ikoria Commander, and features 10 playable premium foil commanders. The five enemy colored 100-card decks contain TBA different cards in total. There are 81 new cards legal in Vintage and Legacy (1 commons, 70 rares, 10 mythic rares). These are set on the same plane as Strixhaven, though the reprints can be from anywhere.
Each package contains 1 foil-etched display commander card (replacing the oversized cards from previous Commander sets), a 100 card deck (including 2 regular foils), 10 double-sided tokens, 1 deck box and 1 life wheel. In addition, there are 9 punch-out counters and a divider which are part of the paper packaging. Each deck features 17 new cards, with one of them (Study Hall) appearing in each deck.
The 70 new rares and ten new mythic rares from the Commander 2021 decks are available in an extended-art version (#TBA-TBA). These may be found in a dedicated single slot of the Strixhaven: School of Mages Collector Booster. These extended-art cards are only available in non-foil. Of note, the rares and mythic rares that are reprints in the Commander 2021 decks aren't found in Strixhaven Collector Boosters.
As part of a larger push toward moving away from plastic packaging, this product features reduced plastic packaging.
An additional "minimal packaging version" of the deck is introduced for sales online. While it doesn't feature the design of the typical retail packaging, instead of using a corrugated cardboard box to contain the product, it delivers almost everything the same way using even less material and space. The only difference between the minimal packaging and retail versions is that the insert tray holding the deck box does not offer punch-out counters and a divider—you'll still receive everything else (the deck and deck box, plus life wheel, display commander, and double-sided tokens).
Themes and mechanics
Each deck focuses on the colors and themes of its associated college.
- Silverquill (): Politics and aggro
- Prismari (): Instants and sorceries with high mana value
- Witherbloom (): Lifegain
- Lorehold (): Artifacts and graveyard recursion
- Quandrix (): Tokens and +1/+1 counters
Commander 2021 consists of five college-themed decks.
|Silverquill Statement||W||B||Breena, the Demagogue|
|Prismari Performance||U||R||Zaffai, Thunder Conductor|
|Witherbloom Witchcraft||B||G||Willowdusk, Essence Seer|
|Lorehold Legacies||W||R||Osgir, the Reconstructor|
|Quantum Quandrix||U||G||Adrix and Nev, Twincasters|
- 10/10 Eldrazi creature, for Desolation Twin and Idol of Oblivion.
- 2/2 Drake creature with flying, for Talrand, Sky Summoner.
- 3/3 Fish creature, for Reef Worm.
- 9/9 Kraken creature, for Reef Worm and Spawning Kraken.
- 6/6 Whale creature, for Reef Worm.
- */* Demon creature with flying, for Tivash, Gloom Summoner.
- Eternalized Champion of Wits.
- 4/4 Horror creature, for Hunted Lammasu.
- 2/2 Zombie creature, for Curse of Disturbance.
- 3/3 Beast creature, for Beast Within and Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 4/4 Beast creature, for Rampaging Baloths.
- 2/2 Boar creature, for Curse of the Swine.
- 3/3 Elephant creature, for Kazandu Tuskcaller and Terastodon.
- 4/4 Fungus Beast creature with trample, for Trudge Garden.
- 3/3 Frog Lizard creature, for Incubation // Incongruity and Rapid Hybridization.
- */* Hydra creature, for Hydra Broodmaster.
- 1/1 Insect creature with flying and deathtouch, for Hornet Nest and Hornet Queen.
- 1/1 Saproling creature, for Druidic Satchel.
- 6/6 Wurm creature, for Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 2/1 Inkling creature with flying, for Combat Calligrapher, Fain, the Broker, Felisa, Fang of Silverquill, and Inkshield.
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying, for Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts.
- 4/4 Elemental creature, for Zaffai, Thunder Conductor.
- 5/5 Elemental creature with flying, for Call the Skybreaker.
- 1/1 Pest creature with "When this creature dies, you gain 1 life," for Blight Mound and Pest Infestation.
- 0/0 Fractal creature, for Deekah, Fractal Theorist, Fractal Harness, Geometric Nexus, Oversimplify, Paradox Zone and Sequence Engine.
- 0/0 Construct artifact creature with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control," for Digsite Engineer.
- */* Construct artifact creature, for Metallurgic Summonings.
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature with flying, for Triplicate Titan.
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature with trample, for Triplicate Titan.
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature with vigilance, for Triplicate Titan.
- 1/1 Myr artifact creature, for Myr Battlesphere.
- 1/1 Thopter artifact creature with flying, for Pia Nalaar and Thopter Engineer.
- Food artifact, for Gingerbread Cabin, Gluttonous Troll, Gyome, Master Chef and Taste of Death.
- Treasure artifact, for Brass’s Bounty, Excavation Technique, Fain, the Broker, Monologue Tax, and Tempting Contract.
- Copy, for Feldon of the Third Path, Osgir, the Reconstructor and Rionya, Fire Dancer.
- Emblem for Daretti, Scrap Savant.
- Emblem for Jaya Ballard.
- Emblem for Ob Nixilis Reignited.
Commander 2021 has at least six cycles of new cards:
- Printed on the card frame
- Strixhaven Commander Sneak Peek: Legendaries, Hints, Art & More! Part 1 (Video). Good Morning Magic. YouTube (March 22, 2021).
- Blake Rasmussen (February 18, 2021). "The First Lesson: Introduction to Strixhaven". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ari Zirulnik (March 25, 2021). "Strixhaven: School of Mages Product Overview". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Strixhaven Commander Unboxing (Video). WeeklyMTG. YouTube (April 9, 2021).
- Mike Turian (March 25, 2021). "Collecting Strixhaven: School of Mages". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Styborski (April 8, 2021). "Check Out The New Packaging for Commander (2021 Edition) and Beyond". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.