|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1 cardas of Kaldheim
Coward is a creature class. Cowards are people who lack courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; timid or easily intimidated persons.
The first creature to be printed with this type was Craven Hulk from Kaldheim. Before this, the type was not used in any type line – not even on tokens. Changelings, notably, always counted as Cowards.
The subtype was only mentioned on a small number of cards before receiving a creature with the type printed on it:
- Boldwyr Intimidator and Kargan Intimidator can also change creatures into Cowards and disallow Cowards to block Warriors.
- Pyrophobia disallows Cowards to block in general.
- Reprobation can change creatures into Cowards with base power and toughness 0/1.
- Craven Hulk is the only printed coward.
- In the storyline, Norin was a notable coward despite not having the type.
- Brady Dommermuth (November 13, 2006). "The Legends of Time Spiral". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 04, 2013). "Any chance of giving Norin the Wary functional errata to make him a Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2014). "Do you consider it a flavor failure that Norin the Wary is not a Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2015). "Could Norin the Wary have been printed as a Human Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.