|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1 cardas of Kaldheim
Coward is a creature class. Cowards are people who lack courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; timid or easily intimidated persons.
The first creature to be printed with this type was Craven Hulk from Kaldheim. Before this, the type was not used in any type line–not even on tokens–. Changelings, notably, always counted as Cowards.
The subtype was only mentioned on a small number of cards before receiving a creature with the type printed on it:
- Boldwyr Intimidator and Kargan Intimidator can also change creatures into Cowards and disallow Cowards to block Warriors.
- Pyrophobia disallows Cowards to block in general.
- Reprobation can change creatures into Cowards with base power and toughness 0/1.
- Craven Hulk is the only printed coward.
- In the storyline, Norin was a notable coward despite not having the type.
- Brady Dommermuth (November 13, 2006). "The Legends of Time Spiral". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 04, 2013). "Any chance of giving Norin the Wary functional errata to make him a Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2014). "Do you consider it a flavor failure that Norin the Wary is not a Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2015). "Could Norin the Wary have been printed as a Human Coward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.