Fifth Dawn (mechanic)|
|Reminder Text||No official reminder text|
5.3% 1.8% 36.8% 33.3% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 5.3% 10.5%
Doubling may be applied to:
- Damage (e.g. Furnace of Rath)
- The number of counters (e.g. Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra)
- The amount of each type of mana in your mana pool (Doubling Cube)
- Power and toughness (Grunn, the Lonely King)
- Life total (Beacon of Immortality)
- X Values (Unbound Flourishing)
- 701.9. Double
- 701.9a Doubling a creature’s power and/or toughness creates a continuous effect. This effect modifies that creature’s power and/or toughness but doesn’t set those characteristics to a specific value. See rule 613.4c.
- 701.9b To double a creature’s power, that creature gets +X/+0, where X is that creature’s power as the spell or ability that doubles its power resolves. Similarly, an effect that doubles a creature’s toughness gives it +0/+X, where X is that creature’s toughness. Doubling a creature’s power and toughness gives it +X/+Y, where X is its power and Y is its toughness.
- 701.9c If a creature’s power is less than 0 when it’s doubled, doubling that creature’s power instead means that the creature gets -X/-0, where X is the difference between 0 and its power. Similarly, if its toughness is less than 0 when doubled, it gets -0/-X. If one characteristic’s value is negative but the other isn’t when both are doubled, it gets -X/+Y or +X/-Y, as appropriate.
- 701.9d To double a player’s life total, the player gains or loses an amount of life such that their new life total is twice its current value.
- 701.9e To double the number of a kind of counters on a player or permanent, give that player or permanent as many of those counters as that player or permanent already has.
- 701.9f To double the amount of a type of mana in a player’s mana pool, that player adds an amount of mana of that type equal to the amount they already have.
- Nyxbloom Ancient and Fiery Emancipation triple effects.
- Mark Rosewater loves to design doubling mechanics.
- Eli Shiffrin (April 13, 2018). "Dominaria Comprehensive Rules Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 10, 2020). "Triple Your Pleasure, Triple Your Fun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 1, 2020). "My Favorite Things". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.