|Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition|
|Symbol description||An overlap of the Phyrexian Yawgmoth's symbol and the Coalition flag|
|Release date||March 19, 2010|
(two 60-card theme decks)
(for Duel Decks E)
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Phyrexia vs. The Coalition contains two preconstructed theme decks, one centered around the forces of Phyrexia and the other around the combined forces of the Coalition. Phyrexia vs. The Coalition is a flavor-based theme deck.
Phyrexia vs. The Coalition features two cards with alternate art and holographic foil treatment; Phyrexian Negator and Urza's Rage. Furthermore, the set includes another four cards with alternate art; Armadillo Cloak, Phyrexian Processor, Voltaic Key, and Yavimaya Elder.
In addition to this, the Duel Deck contains a Magic "learn to play" guide, a strategy insert, and three creature tokens. The creature tokens are:
- X/X Minion, produced by Phyrexian Processor
- 1/1 Saproling, produced by Rith, the Awakener and Rith's Charm
- 1/1 Insect artifact creature with flying and haste called Hornet, produced by Hornet Cannon
Released in anticipation of Phyrexia's invasion of Mirrodin in the Scars of Mirrodin block, Phyrexia vs. The Coalition is based on the story of the Phyrexian invasion of Dominaria, depicted in the Invasion block and its accompanying novels.
Numerous cards in Phyrexia vs. The Coalition are reprinted from sets prior to Invasion; however, this is consistent with Magic canon, as both Urza and Yawgmoth had set millennia-long plans in motion, which would culminate in the Invasion and the Coalition's resistance to, and eventual defeat of, the Phyrexians.
Reserved list issue
The set featured a card that had been placed on the Reserved List: Phyrexian Negator. This was possible at the time, because of the loophole that permitted the cards to be printed as premium foils. However, concern from the community about future reprints prompted Wizards of the Coast to alter that policy.
- Product info
- Wizards of the Coast (October 14, 2009). "Announcing Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (February 22, 2010). "Phyrexia vs. The Coalition Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Millar (March 15, 2010). "Designer’s Diary – Phyrexia vs. the Coalition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 21, 2012). "You reprinted phyrexian negator... why?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 17, 2013). "Why was phyrexian negator reprinted?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 08, 2015). "What good is an agreement if you ignore it whenever it's convenient for you?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (March 18, 2010). "Revised Reprint Policy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 23, 2013). "Were people really so incensed that Phyrexian Negator was reprinted?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 09, 2015). "On Phyrexian Negator and the Reserved List". Blogatog. Tumblr.