|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
20.8% 4.2% 66.7% 4.2% 4.2%as of Strixhaven: School of Mages
Elk is a primarily green/white creature type used for cards depicting large deer. Elk (or Wapiti) are similar to the Red Deer found in Europe, of which they were long believed to be subspecies. In the deer family, only the common moose (confusingly referred to as "elk" in some European countries) rival the elk in size.
History[edit | edit source]
The first creature to bear the type was Gang of Elk from Urza's Legacy. It used to be a Beast, but this was changed in the Grand Creature Type Update. For a long time, it was the only Elk card until Great Sable Stag was printed in Magic 2010. Theros features an enchantment creature with the subtype that acts as Heliod's emissary.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Arcavios[edit | edit source]
The Cervins of Arcavios feed on the mana-rich plants around the star arches, imbuing their bodies with extraordinary grace and vitality.
Shadowmoor[edit | edit source]
The Cervins of Shadowmoor are long-legged, deer-like mount used by the higher ranks of Gilt Leaf hunters. Prized for their beauty and gentle temperament, cervins remain calm during combat. They roam wild in the Gilt-Leaf and are easily trained, but elves prefer to ride a pure-bred domestic over a wild-born animal. When breeding cervins, the elves track bloodlines, and the most perfect mounts are gifts to the most perfect elves. Some elves who are lower in the social hierarchy ride vinebred cervins because they're deemed more acceptable than riding a flawed cervin.
Oko[edit | edit source]
Notable Elk[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Elk are Deer but not all Deer are Elk. That knowledge does make Mark Rosewater willing to change Elk to Deer if R&D would start over.
- The blue aligned Wetland Sambar from Khans of Tarkir is the only non-white, non-green elk seen thus far.
- Sambar is a real species.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (February 10, 2010). "Angry Lands, Brave Adventurers, and Other Decks for Vorthos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (February 2008). "Ask Wizards - February 2008". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 17, 2018). "is there a particular reason Druid of the Sacred Beaker is a Deer as opposed to an Elk?". Blogatog. Tumblr.