|Multiple Card Types|
Players often wondered if enchantment lands had been considered for the "enchantment matters" Theros block. Mark Rosewater admitted that R&D's experience with artifact lands (which turned out way too powerful) scared them off from even trying, especially with Constellation in the mix. It would have been a problem even if the enchantment land was legendary. Even one enchantment land would have forced development to raise the costs of all the cards with the Constellation mechanic.
Rosewater assumed enchantment lands would appear in a regular set one day (possibly in a supplemental set) but most likely not in a set where “enchantments matter”. The first black-bordered enchantment land, Urza's Saga, indeed appeared in Modern Horizons 2.
- Playing an enchantment land as a land uses a land drop, the same as playing an artifact land.
- Adam Styborski (May 6, 2021). "Welcome to the Summer of Legend". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2014). "Was an enchantment land ever in consideration for Theros block?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 14, 2014). "Was mirridon/new phyrexia artifact land and how good it was with affinity similar to why there wasn't enchantment lands?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 16, 2016). "It's still difficult to understand your reluctance to make an enchantment land.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 24, 2014). "Why didn't Theros block have an Enchantment Land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 09, 2014). "Couldn't you have made Nyx itself as a card?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 15, 2014). "Don't you think the issue with Mirrodin's artifact lands is that there are so many of them?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 05, 2016). "What are the chances of ever seeing an enchantment land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Eli Shiffrin (November 11, 2019). "Mystery Booster Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.