Equip [quality] [cost] ([Cost]: Attach this permanent to target [quality] creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.) |
Equip planeswalker [cost] ([Cost]: Attach this permanent to target planeswalker you control as though that planeswalker were a creature. Activate only as a sorcery.)
6.3% 2.5% 4.4% 4.9% 3.5% 0.3% 0.3% 0.8% 0.3% 0.5% 0.3% 76%
Equip is a keyword ability found on artifacts with the subtype "Equipment". By paying the equip cost, you can attach the artifact to a creature you control, which is referred to in the text as the "equipped creature".
Equipping can only be activated at sorcery speed. When an equipped creature leaves the battlefield, unlike Auras, the equipment remains on the battlefield. An equipment with no abilities can't be attached to anything.
While most equipment designs modify equip timing, costs and "resting" state, Streets of New Capenna brings a new equip form of "equip Planeswalker" that acts uniquely within the rules.
- A keyword ability that lets a player attach an Equipment to a creature they control. See rule 301, “Artifacts,” and rule 702.6, “Equip.”
- 702.6. Equip
- 702.6a Equip is an activated ability of Equipment cards. “Equip [cost]” means “[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate only as a sorcery.”
- 702.6b For more information about Equipment, see rule 301, “Artifacts.”
- 702.6c Equip abilities may further restrict what creatures may be chosen as legal targets. Such restrictions usually appear in the form “Equip [quality]” or “Equip [quality] creature.” These equip abilities may legally target only a creature that’s controlled by the player activating the ability and that has the chosen quality. Additional restrictions for an equip ability don’t restrict what the Equipment may be attached to.
- 702.6d If a permanent has multiple equip abilities, any of its equip abilities may be activated.
- 702.6e “Equip planeswalker” is a variant of the equip ability. “Equip planeswalker [cost]” means “[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target planeswalker you control as though that planeswalker were a creature. Activate only as a sorcery.”
Starting with Dominaria equip can now specify a quality a creature must have to be equipped. In practice, this has taken the form of a discounted equip cost with a general cost printed alongside it, in contrast to equipment such as Konda's Banner or Gate Smasher.
Luxior, Giada's Gift is the first to use a noncreature permanent as the quality. The rules only qualify what happens with this particular equip ability, in that the planeswalker can be targeted and attached with Luxior's ability as though it was a creature. Luxior's second static ability will then change the planeswalker to a creature, allowing it to remain equipped.
|Dominaria||Legendary creature||Blackblade Reforged|
|Strixhaven: School of Mages||Creature token||Team Pennant|
|Commander Legends||Commander||Commander's Plate|
|Throne of Eldraine||Knight||Steelclaw Lance|
|Streets of New Capenna||Planeswalker||Luxior, Giada's Gift|
|Streets of New Capenna||Citizen||Ceremonial Groundbreaker|
|Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate||Shaman, Warlock, or Wizard||Robe of the Archmagi|
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature can't be blocked and has shroud. (It can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land you control.
Equip legendary creature