|Last Used||Alara Reborn|
|Reminder Text||Fear (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)|
2.6% 76.9% 2.6% 7.7% 5.1% 5.1%
The ability has existed since Alpha, where it was printed on a card called, appropriately, Fear. The rules text of that card was originally the rules text for the fear ability. The ability was first keyworded in the Onslaught set. It showed up in a core set for the first time in Eighth Edition. All pre-Onslaught cards have been errataed to replace the older rules text with the fear keyword. The vigilance, lifelink, and fear keywords are the only keywords with a card of the exact name (Vigilance, Lifelink and Fear respectively). Flying and indestructible come close, with cards called Flight and Indestructibility, respectively.
With Magic 2010 Wizards of the Coast obsoleted Fear, in favor of the new keyword Intimidate. Intimidate differs in that nonartifact creatures can block the creature if they share a color with the blocked creature. Thus, Intimidate can interact with color-changing effects, and a nonblack deck can be built to use it against black creatures. Intimidate would in its turn be obsoleted by Menace.
- A keyword ability that restricts how a creature may be blocked. See rule 702.36, “Fear.”
- 702.36. Fear
- 702.36a Fear is an evasion ability.
- 702.36b A creature with fear can’t be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)
- 702.36c Multiple instances of fear on the same creature are redundant.
- Cards that change color words do not change the Fear ability. The reminder text on the card can change, but it's just reminder text and does not actually define the ability.
Creature — Zombie
Fear (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)
Enchantments that grant just Fear
Creatures of the chosen type
All your creatures