Static (1st ability)|
Static (2nd ability)
|Reminder Text||Foretell [cost] (During your turn, you may pay and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost.)|
25% 18.8% 21.9% 18.8% 12.5% 3.1%
Description[edit | edit source]
Foretell was designed as the combination of capturing a top-down omen flavor and a mechanic called "layaway" that Mark Rosewater had created many years ago based on a mechanic from the "Star Wars Trading Card" game.
During your turn, you may pay and exile a card with foretell from your hand face down. You may cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost (the mana cost listed as part of the foretell keyword). Foretelling is optional, so you can always just cast the spell as normal if you're looking for a more immediate impact.
Foretell essentially splits the cost of a card over two turns. The implementation has roots in Echo (installment costs), Suspend (setting the card into exile for cheaper casting later), and Morph (hidden information, uniform baseline, installments). Some cards have additional benefits if the spell was foretold before being cast.
R&D created a foretell helper token that you can optionally use to assist during gameplay.
Cards interacting with Foretell[edit | edit source]
- With Ranar the Ever-Watchful in play, the first card you foretell each turn costs to foretell.
- Alrund, God of the Cosmos gets +1/+1 for each foretold card you own in exile.
- Cosmos Charger reduces the cost of foretell by and can be done on any player's turn.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- You can't cast a foretold card on the same turn you exile it.
- Casting the spell from exile uses all the same timing rules the spell normally has.
- In exile, you must keep your foretold cards clear. Your opponents won't know what the cards are, but they'll know which card you foretold first, second, and so forth.
- At the end of the game, if you still have any foretold cards in exile, reveal them to all players so they know the future you foretold was an honest one.
Example[edit | edit source]
Creature — Elephant
Whenever a permanent you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may draw a card.
Foretell (During your turn, you may pay and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost)
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak (December 7, 2020). "Kaldheim Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (Janauary 9, 2021). "Was foretell created as a improved morph the same way chroma lead to devotion?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mike Turian (December 17, 2020). "Collecting Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.