|Last Used||Future Sight|
|Reminder Text||Fortify [cost] ([Cost]: Attach this Fortification to target land you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.)|
History[edit | edit source]
Fortify was introduced in Future Sight. It has only been printed on one card so far, the timeshifted Darksteel Garrison. Mark Rosewater has considered the mechanic difficult to implement, as the typical sanctity of lands limits both the utility of re-usability that equipment hold, and the ability to put powerful effects on fortifications.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that lets a player attach a Fortification to a land they control. See rule 301, “Artifacts,” and rule 702.66, “Fortify.”
- 702.66. Fortify
- 702.66a Fortify is an activated ability of Fortification cards. “Fortify [cost]” means “[Cost]: Attach this Fortification to target land you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.”
- 702.66b For more information about Fortifications, see rule 301, “Artifacts.”
- 702.66c If a Fortification has multiple instances of fortify, any of its fortify abilities may be used.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- If Darksteel Garrison and the fortified land would be destroyed at the same time, only Darksteel Garrison is destroyed.
- The second ability triggers whenever the fortified land becomes tapped, not just when it's tapped for mana.
- The triggered ability is mandatory. If you don't have a creature to target, you must target another player's creature, if possible.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Artifact — Fortification
Fortified land has indestructible.
Whenever fortified land becomes tapped, target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Fortify (: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery. This card enters the battlefield unattached and stays on the battlefield if the land leaves.)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (October 24, 2017). "What are the odds of Fortifications/Fortify coming back?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (February 19, 2019). "I just stumbled across the Fortification mechanic from Future Sight". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 3, 2020). "Back to the Future Sight". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.