Free-for-All (a.k.a. Circle) is a casual multiplayer format for Magic: the Gathering where a group of players compete as individuals against each other. Players are seated randomly in a circle, and turns progress one player at a time clockwise around the table.
Before the game starts, make sure that everyone agrees on how attacking is going to work. Players can "attack left," in which the only legal player to attack is the one sitting directly to that player's left, "attack right," or "attack multiple players." If the "attack multiple players" option is chosen, players may attack different players within the same attack. The same option applies to everyone in the game.
- A multiplayer variant in which a group of players compete as individuals against each other. See rule 806, “Free-for-All Variant.”
- 806. Free-for-All Variant
- 806.1. In Free-for-All multiplayer games, a group of players compete as individuals against each other.
- 806.2. Any multiplayer options used are determined before play begins. The Free-for-All variant uses the following default options.
- 806.2a The limited range of influence option usually isn’t used in Free-for-All games. If it is, each player has the same range of influence, which is determined before play begins. See rule 801, “Limited Range of Influence Option.”
- 806.2b Exactly one of the attack left, attack right, and attack multiple players options must be used. See rule 803, “Attack Left and Attack Right Options,” and rule 802, “Attack Multiple Players Option.”
- 806.2c The deploy creatures option isn’t used in the Free-for-All variant.
- 806.3. The players are randomly seated around the table.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 11, 2008). "Casual Formats". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Paul Barclay (July 12, 2004). "Multiplayer Rules". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges (December 30, 2008). "Left and Right". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges (March 30, 2009). "By the Numbers". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.