The following cards are a list of timeshifted cards in the set, identifiable by their different, "futureshifted" card layout. They are notable for introducing new keywords, having unusual abilities or type combinations, and/or for previewing blocks that will be released.
- Grandeur cycle: Baru, Fist of Krosa, Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Linessa, Zephyr Mage, Oriss, Samite Guardian, Tarox Bladewing
- Baru references Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.
- Korlash references Dakkon Blackblade.
- Linessa references Alexi, Zephyr Mage.
- Oriss references Orim, Samite Healer (her Grandeur ability is the same as found on a kicked Orim's Chant) and Cho-Manno, Revolutionary (the Fountain of Cho is visible in the art).
- Tarox references Rorix Bladewing.
- Textless vanilla cycle: Blade of the Sixth Pride, Blind Phantasm, Fomori Nomad, Mass of Ghouls, Nessian Courser.
- Allied-color-lands cycle: Graven Cairns, Grove of the Burnwillows, Horizon Canopy, Nimbus Maze, River of Tears.
- Sliver cycle: Frenzy Sliver, Homing Sliver, Lymph Sliver, Mesmeric Sliver, Virulent Sliver.
- Non-creature with morph vertical cycle: Lumithread Field (enchantment), Whetwheel (artifact), Zoetic Cavern (land).
- Tenth Edition preview card: Mass of Ghouls
- Lorwyn preview card: Goldmeadow Lookout (technically)
- Morningtide preview card: Boldwyr Intimidator
- Shadowmoor preview cards: Graven Cairns, Mistmeadow Skulk
- Eventide preview card: Phosphorescent Feast which would be a pre-Chroma card.
- Scars of Mirrodin preview card: Bloodshot Trainee
- Theros preview card: Nessian Courser
- Amonkhet preview card: Aven Mindcensor 
- Commander 2017 (Feline Ferocity) preview card: Seht's Tiger 
- Unstable preview card: Steamflogger Boss 
- Guilds of Ravnica preview card: Narcomoeba 
- Strixhaven: School of Mages preview card: Grinning Ignus
- Possible future victorian/graveyard set preview cards: Bitter Ordeal, Patrician's Scorn, Street Wraith. Unattached to the Victorian theme are Tombstalker, Bridge from Below, Yixlid Jailer.
- Possible Muraganda set preview cards: Muraganda Petroglyphs, Imperiosaur
- Lorwyn block — Tribal cardtype: Bound in Silence, Jace Beleren artwork: Blind Phantasm
- Esper from the Alara block — colored artifacts theme: Sarcomite Myr
- Naya from the Alara block — Nacatl cat-people: Nacatl War-Pride.
- Rise of the Eldrazi — Colorless nonartifact spells: Ghostfire
- Scars of Mirrodin — Poison: Snake Cult Initiation, Virulent Sliver.
- New Phyrexia — Fusion of metal and flesh in Sarcomite Myr. While artifacts with colored mana costs were used in Esper, it was first intended as a New Phyrexia preview. Additionally, this flavor text contains the first mention of Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer.
- Innistrad — Gothic horror Death Rattle
- Theros block — Enchantment creatures: Lucent Liminid.
- Khans of Tarkir block — noncreature morphs: Lumithread Field.
- Sultai Brood from Khans of Tarkir — Delve: Tombstalker, Logic Knot and Death Rattle.
- Battle for Zendikar block — Devoid: colorless spells with colored mana in their cost: Ghostfire.
- Dominaria — Descendants of Rorix Bladewing in : Tarox Bladewing 
- Modern Horizons — Horizon lands. Horizon Canopy
- Shadows over Innistrad — Reuse of Madness: Grave Scrabbler
- Ghostfire - Its flavor text mentions Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, who is later revealed to be one of the planeswalkers that imprisoned the Eldrazi on Zendikar, and the twin of Nicol Bolas. Few pieces of flavor text have inspired more future story.
Other futureshifted cards
- Cards that introduce new keywords but are otherwise usual: Arcanum Wings, Darksteel Garrison, Fleshwrither, Frenzy Sliver, Homing Sliver, Logic Knot, Lymph Sliver, Mesmeric Sliver, Quagnoth, Snake Cult Initiation, Spin into Myth, Thornweald Archer, Vedalken Æthermage
- Enchantments that tap: Flowstone Embrace, Second Wind, Witch's Mist.
- Normal abilities with unusual costs: Deepcavern Imp, Edge of Autumn, Henchfiend of Ukor, Shah of Naar Isle, Skizzik Surger, Whip-Spine Drake, Street Wraith.
- Bloodshot Trainee - Has an ability dependent on its own power being above a certain number.
- Bonded Fetch - Defender with haste; a failed experiment into giving blue haste with noncombat applications.
- Bound in Silence - First Tribal type card.
- Bridge from Below - An enchantment that only has abilities while in the graveyard.
- Centaur Omenreader - Reduces creature spell costs, as long as it is tapped. It has the Snow type.
- Daybreak Coronet - Introduces lifelink, Enchant creature with another aura attached to it.
- Dryad Arbor - Land creature.
- Emblem of the Warmind - An aura that affects all creatures you control.
- Imperiosaur - 'Muraganda' plane native, card dependent on basic lands.
- Imperial Mask - Enchantment that copies itself to each teammate you have. Ostensibly suitable for multiplayer games, but lack of teammates in most formats limits usefulness.
- Muraganda Petroglyphs - 'Muraganda' plane native, card that supports Vanilla creatures.
- Nacatl War-Pride - Creature that replicates itself depending on how many defenders there are.
- Narcomoeba - Pseudo-madness ability that allows it to be put onto the battlefield when sent from the library to the graveyard.
- Nix - A cheap but rather niche counterspell against spells that were played for no mana.
- Phosphorescent Feast - Card that gets more powerful when there are more green mana symbols in your hand's cards, an ability that became Eventide's chroma and Theros's devotion.
- Ramosian Revivalist - A Rebel puller that uses the graveyard instead of the library. References Ramos.
- Sarcomite Myr - An artifact that costs colored mana to cast (see colored artifacts).
- Seht's Tiger - Flash creature that gives you protection from the color of your choice the turn it enters the battlefield.
- Shapeshifter's Marrow - A Clone variant which copies a creature not yet on the battlefield.
- Spellweaver Volute - Enchants an instant card in the graveyard.
- Spellwild Ouphe - A card that reduces the cost of spells that target it.
- Sporoloth Ancient - Creature that can only put spore counters on itself, but gives the spore counter removing ability (but at a better rate to the standard) to every creature.
- Storm Entity - Creature with the storm-like ability to gain +1/+1 for each spell previously played on this turn.
- Tarmogoyf - Introduces (by way of reminder text) the Planeswalker and Tribal card types.
- Thunderblade Charge - Sorcery that can flashback itself indefinitely whenever you deal combat damage. Strongly influenced by Hammer of Bogardan.
- Yixlid Jailer - Cards in the graveyard lose all abilities.
- Mark Rosewater (August 24, 2020). "Back to the Future Sight, Part 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 3, 2020). "Back to the Future Sight". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 17, 2020). "Back to the Future Sight, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 24, 2017). "Amonkhet Talking, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Quinn Murphy (August 7, 2017). "Surprise Cats". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 23, 2017). "Magic Panel Info". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 03, 2018). "Narcomoeba has actually appeared in two sets before Guilds of Ravnica: Future Sight and Modern Masters.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic Arcana (April 17, 2007). "Demon of the Future". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta (May 03, 2007). "Vorthos Visits a Travel Agent". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 17, 2021). "Future Sight Design Handoff Document". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 02, 2007). "Death Rattle Switch". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 18, 2018). "Which characters are you hoping to open at Prerelease?". The Official Magic: The Gathering Tumblr. Tumblr.
- Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa (May 21, 2019). "Land on the Horizon". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 26, 2016). "Was wondering if I could get some trivia for my favorite planeswalker Ugin?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 13, 2014). "Team Building". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.