|Introduced||Scars of Mirrodin|
|Last Used||New Phyrexia|
|Reminder Text||Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)|
9.1% 6.8% 34.1% 6.8% 27.3% 15.9%
Infect is a keyword ability that was introduced in Scars of Mirrodin. It is centered in black and green with some artifacts having the keyword. It combines poisonous and wither abilities. In Mirrodin Besieged the mechanic was expanded to white.
As with its related mechanic proliferate, infect is Phyrexian in theme. Each creature with infect, and all cards that gave infect and/or positively affected creatures with infect, were printed with the Phyrexian watermark.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that affects how an object deals damage to creatures and players. See rule 702.89, “Infect.”
- 702.89. Infect
- 702.89a Infect is a static ability.
- 702.89b Damage dealt to a player by a source with infect doesn’t cause that player to lose life. Rather, it causes that source’s controller to give the player that many poison counters. See rule 120.3.
- 702.89c Damage dealt to a creature by a source with infect isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that source’s controller to put that many -1/-1 counters on that creature. See rule 120.3.
- 702.89d If a permanent leaves the battlefield before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known information is used to determine whether it had infect.
- 702.89e The infect rules function no matter what zone an object with infect deals damage from.
- 702.89f Multiple instances of infect on the same object are redundant.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Infect's effect applies to any damage, not just combat damage.
- The -1/-1 counters remain on the creature indefinitely. They're not removed if the creature regenerates or the turn ends.
- Damage from a source with infect is damage in all respects. If the source with infect also has lifelink, damage dealt by that source also causes its controller to gain that much life. Damage from a source with infect can be prevented or redirected. Abilities that trigger on damage being dealt will trigger if a source with infect deals damage, if appropriate.
- If damage from a source with infect that would be dealt to a player is prevented, that player doesn't get poison counters. If damage from a source with infect that would be dealt to a creature is prevented, that creature doesn't get -1/-1 counters.
- Damage from a source with infect affects planeswalkers normally.
Reminder text[edit | edit source]
The latest reminder text for Infect reads "This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and players in the form of poison counters.".
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Zombie
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
Cards that grant infect[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Infect was featured as rules card 1 of 5 in the Scars of Mirrodin set and as rules card 4 of 5 in the Mirrodin Besieged set and as rules card 3 of 4 in the New Phyrexia set.
- Hand of the Praetors is a lord for all creatures with infect.
- Inkmoth Nexus is a manland with infect.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (2018-11-30). "Is infect still a 7 in the storm scale do you see...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 06, 2010). "Something Wicked This Way Comes, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (November 05, 2010). "Infection Spreads". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 24, 2011). "Under Besiege, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Scars of Mirrodin: Infect (Video). YouTube.