|Journey into Nyx|
|Symbol description||Combination of an altar and the Horns of Xenagos|
Ethan Fleischer (lead) |
David Humpherys (lead)|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||May 2, 2014|
|Themes and mechanics||"enchantment matters"|
|Keywords/ability words||Constellation, Strive, Bestow, Heroic, Inspired, Scry, Monstrosity, Devotion|
165 cards |
(60 commons, 60 uncommons, 35 rares, 10 mythic rares)
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprinted cards
- 5 Notable cards
- 6 Preconstructed decks
- 7 References
- 8 External links
|“||Rival the Gods||”|
Like its predecessors, Journey into Nyx has an ancient Greek themed top-down design, making use of many mythological tropes. The set contains 165 cards (60 Common, 60 Uncommon, 35 Rare, 10 Mythic) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. Fitting in with the "enchantment matters" theme, 59 of the set's 165 cards carry the enchantment type. The set introduces the Lamia creature type.
Flavor and storyline
The plane of Theros is in chaos. Gods and mortals are pitted against each other, and terrifying monsters stalk the land. Heroes strive for glory while new and terrifying constellations take shape in the night sky. Supported by Ajani, Elspeth travels to Nyx and kills Xenagos. Afraid of her power, Heliod kills Elspeth.
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Ajani, Mentor of Heroes||Kelly Digges||2014-04-09||Theros||Ajani Goldmane|
|Desperate Stand||Matt Knicl||2014-04-16||Theros||Unknown soldier|
|Dreams of the City||Ken Troop||2014-04-23||Theros||Ephara, Ashiok|
|Thank the Gods||Clayton Kroh||2014-04-30||Theros||Xenagos|
|The Path or the Horizon||Adam Lee||2014-05-07||Theros||Zosimos|
|Kruphix's Insight||Kelly Digges||2014-06-11||Theros||Kruphix, Kydele|
|Ajani's Vengeance||Tom LaPille||2014-07-23||Theros||Ajani|
Journey into Nyx is sold in 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card), five intro packs, one event deck and a fat pack. The boosters feature artwork from Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, Pharika, God of Affliction and Cyclops of Eternal Fury . The set featured the continuation of the Hero's Path.
Quest 7 on the Hero's Path takes place at the Journey into Nyx Prerelease events, April 26 and 27, 2014. Players will forge a Godslayer based on a favorite mana color and receive a Seeded Prerelease Pack based on that color (Forged in Glory , Intellect , Tyranny , War or Pursuit ). The Prerelease Pack contains a Spindown Life Counter, one of five Hero Equipment cards (respectively Spear of the General, Cloak of the Philosopher, Lash of the Tyrant, Axe of the Warmonger or Bow of the Hunter), one of five quiz activity cards, five Theros block boosters, and a seeded booster featuring cards appropriate for that player's chosen path — including one of the five Prerelease promo cards. During the prerelease, players have the opportunity to win three mystical components, represented by reward stickers. Three component stickers combine in specific ways to create one of seven different enhancements. The activity card is handed in to the tournament organizer to receive the corresponding "enhancement sticker". That sticker is put on the player's Hero card in the blank space as a new permanent ability, thus forging one the most powerful weapons on Theros: a customized Godslayer.
Journey into Nyx launches May 2–4, 2014 and the month's first Friday Night Magic starts off the festivities. Players on the Hero's Path come to their stores to "Journey into Nyx" and solve a puzzle hidden within the poster included in the Journey into Nyx Launch Weekend kit. Players who solve the puzzle receive a copy of the Quest 8 Hero card (The Destined).
On May 24–25, 2014 Journey into Nyx Game Day players can use their Standard decks for the ninth quest on the Hero's Path: Defeat a God, a special Challenge Deck provided to the retailer. By winning against the Challenge deck, players win a ninth Hero card (The Champion). Players will be able to use three of the Hero cards they have collected and the Godslayer that they forged at the Prerelease to complete this final quest of the Hero's Path!
- Prerelease, one of five according to the chosen Godslayer: Dawnbringer Charioteers, Scourge of Fleets, Doomwake Giant, Spawn of Thraxes or Heroes' Bane
- Launch promo: Dictate of the Twin Gods
- Game Day: full-art Squelching Leeches
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art foil Dictate of Kruphix
- Buy-a-Box: Eidolon of Blossoms
- Completing the Hero's Path: Hall of Triumph
- 4/4 Sphinx with flying for Hour of Need
- */* Zombie for Ritual of the Returned
- 2/3 Minotaur for Flurry of Horns
- */* Hydra for Hydra Broodmaster
- 1/3 Spider enchantment creature with reach for Renowned Weaver
- 1/1 Snake enchantment creature with deathtouch for Pharika, God of Affliction
The following named tokens were released with Born of the Gods:
- 2/2 Bird enchantment creature for Rise of Eagles
- Artifact token named Gold for King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
The following named tokens were released with Theros:
Themes and mechanics
- See also: Theros block/Trivia.
Journey into Nyx has a heavy theme of "enchantments matter", and those cards were "pushed" to a higher power level to ensure that enchantments would be key components of competitive decks. The keywords Bestow, Heroic, Scry, Monstrosity, Inspired and Devotion returned from the previous sets (with monstrosity skipping one set). Two new ability words were added: constellation and strive. Enchantments with constellation abilities represent the divine constellations that fill the night sky. An enchantment's constellation ability triggers every time it or another enchantment enters the battlefield under the player's control. Most of the enchantments with constellation abilities are enchantment creatures, but not all of them. A spell with a strive ability lets you pump more mana into it to increase the number of targets.
Journey into Nyx has one mirrored pair.
|Common auras that cost 1 colored mana. Both grant +1/+1 and can be sacrificed to destroy an artifact or enchantment when the creature deals damage to a player.|
- Bladetusk Boar was first printed in Zendikar and last seen in Magic 2013
- Magma Spray was first printed in Shards of Alara and last seen in Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari
- Reprisal was first printed in Alliances and last seen in Duel Decks: Knights vs. Dragons
- Riddle of Lightning was first printed in Future Sight
- Banishing Light is a functional reprint of Oblivion Ring from Lorwyn, except for the use of the new "exile until" template.
- Brain Maggot is a functional reprint of Mesmeric Fiend from Torment, except for the use of the new "exile until" template and for being an Enchantment Creature.
- Golden Hind is a functional reprint of Leaf Gilder from Lorwyn, except for creature types.
- Market Festival is a functional reprint of Dawn's Reflection from Fifth Dawn.
- Oreskos Swiftclaw is a functional reprint of Blade of the Sixth Pride from Future Sight, except for creature types.
- Pensive Minotaur is a functional reprint of Minotaur Warrior from Portal.
- Pharika's Chosen is a functional reprint of Typhoid Rats from Innistrad, except for creature types.
- Satyr Grovedancer is a functional reprint of Ironshell Beetle from Judgment and Timberland Guide from Avacyn Restored, except for creature types.
Creature enchantment functional reprints
- Eidolon of Rhetoric is a creature enchantment version of Rule of Law
- Eidolon of the Great Revel is a creature enchantment version of Pyrostatic Pillar
- Hypnotic Siren is a creature enchantment version of Control Magic and Mind Control
- Mogis's Warhound is a creature enchantment version of Furor of the Bitten and/or Goblin Brigand
- Nyx-fleece Ram is a creature enchantment version of Ajani's Mantra
- Dawnbringer Charioteers is strictly better than Seraph of Dawn.
- Felhide Petrifier is strictly better than Felhide Minotaur.
- Lagonna-Band Trailblazer is strictly better than Yoked Ox.
- Nature's Panoply is strictly better than Battlegrowth.
- Oppressive Rays is strictly better than Brainwash.
- Prophetic Flamespeaker is strictly better than Two-Headed Cerberus.
- Supply-Line Cranes is strictly better than Silent Artisan.
- Triton Shorestalker is strictly better than Fugitive Wizard, Grayscaled Gharial, Hazy Homunculus, Metathran Soldier and Sneaky Homunculus.
- Akroan Mastiff is strictly worse than Ballynock Trapper.
- Starfall is strictly worse than Punish the Enemy.
|Intro pack name||Colors Included||Foil rare|
|Mortals of Myth||W||G||Dawnbringer Charioteers|
|Fates Foreseen||U||R||Scourge of Fleets|
|Pantheon's Power||W||B||Doomwake Giant|
|Voracious Rage||B||R||Spawn of Thraxes|
|The Wilds and the Deep||U||G||Heroes' Bane|
|Wrath of the Mortals||U||R|
- Ethan Fleischer (April 07, 2014). "My Journey". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Product info
- Trick Jarrett (November 11, 2013). "Announcing Journey into Nyx". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Credits". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team (May 26, 2014). "Journey's End". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 08, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jason Alt (April 26, 2014) Taking “God Pack” Literally (Reddit)
- Wizards of the Coast (April 28, 2014). "A Divine Gift". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (April 21, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Clayton Kroh (April 21, 2014). "Magic Online Journey into Nyx Prerelease and Release Events". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 09, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Promos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 07, 2014). "Hall of Triumph". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 22, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (April 11, 2014). "A Matter of Structure". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (May 02, 2014). "Making Enchantments Matter". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges (April 07, 2014). "Mechanics of Journey into Nyx". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Humpherys (April 14, 2014). "A Developmental Journey". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 07, 2014). "The Incredible Journey, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 28, 2014). "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 14, 2014). "The Incredible Journey, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Marshall Sutcliffe (April 09, 2014). "Bestow the Line". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 21, 2014). "Journey to the Center of the Set, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 29, 2013). "Journey into Nyx Intro Pack Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (May 01, 2014). "Journey into Nyx Event Deck". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.