|Symbol description||two half decks in a circle|
Doug Beyer (lead)|
Doug Beyer (lead)|
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||July 17, 2020|
|Themes and mechanics||46 different themes in 121 packs|
(11 commons, 7 uncommons, 14 rares, 6 mythic rares, 40 basic lands)
(186 commons, 147 uncommons, 73 rares, 11 mythic rares)
+169 M21 cards
(79 commons, 48 uncommons, 20 rares, 7 mythic rares, 15 basic lands)
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
- For other uses, see Jumpstart (disambiguation).
Jumpstart was intended to be released on June 26, 2020, but this was pushed back to July 17 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For Europe, the release was further delayed to October 16, 2020.
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Notable cards
- 5 Misprints
- 6 Changes in rarity
- 7 Pack Summary cards
- 8 See also
- 9 References
|“||Mix, Match, Mayhem||”|
Jumpstart melds an easy way of deckbuilding with the “shuffle up and play” speed of constructed. In this, it is similar to the Smash Up game by Alderac Entertainment Group and KeyForge by Richard Garfield.
The set introduced a new way to play Magic that mashes together themes from throughout the history of the game and lets you skip the deckbuilding part. To play a game of Jumpstart, players simply open two boosters and shuffle them together to form a ready-to-play 40-card deck.
The set contained 37 new cards, featuring the Jumpstart expansion symbol, and almost 600 reprints. The new cards are not Standard-, Pioneer-, or Modern-legal but are legal in Eternal formats (Legacy, Vintage, Pauper and Commander). 169 of the reprinted cards are from Core Set 2021 and feature the M21 expansion symbol, while the remainder (over 400) are reprints from sets before Core Set 2021 and have the Jumpstart expansion symbol. All cards in the set, including the reprints, have the post-M15 card frame. The new cards and cards with new art are numbered #1/78 to #78/78 (11 commons, 7 uncommons, 14 rares, 6 mythic rares, 40 basic lands). The other reprints with the Jumpstart expansion symbol are numbered #79-495 (186 commons, 147 uncommons, 73 rares, 11 mythic rares). The set contains no foil cards.
Jumpstart was primarily sold in 20-card boosters, with 24 boosters per booster box. The contents of each pack fit one of 46 randomly-chosen themes, with each theme having a "rarity" of common, rare or mythic rare. Common and rare themes have multiple variations of their pack contents; in total, there are 121 possible pack contents. All boosters contain at least one rare, and one in three boosters includes an extra rare. Within each pack, seven or eight of the 20 cards are lands and the rest are spells; one basic land in each pack (or in the case of the Rainbow theme, Terramorphic Expanse) features art that matches the pack's theme. The planeswalker-themed packs use their respective Showcase lands from M21, but the other packs use brand-new art created specifically for this set. The booster pack itself is wrapped like a regular pack, but the cards within are packed in an additional plastic wrap, with a face card (the "Pack Summary card") that indicates the pack's theme and color.
Jumpstart was also available in the Jumpstart Multipack, which includes four 20-card booster packs.
The set had an unlimited print run, though it was put on hold during the 2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic. The set is available in English only.
- Prerelease: July 17-19, 2020
- Prereleases ran all day. Each player received two Jumpstart boosters to create a deck. When they played enough matches, they earned a promo card.
Jumpstart was released on MTG Arena on July 16th, 2020. Jumpstart cards on MTG Arena are legal in Historic. Some of the deck contents are slightly different from the paper release. The official physical way to play is to open four packs, and then choose how to pair them and then play with two decks. That process works a little differently on MTG Arena. In addition, the card pool of Jumpstart is slightly different on Arena, due to some cards not working well within the format of a computer game (such as constantly asking players to confirm decisions), concerns for the Historic format, or technical constraints. In total, twenty cards from Jumpstart are excluded from the MTG Arena and replaced with other cards.
Themes and mechanics
There are 46 themes that range from the familiar to the curious. Common themes are each represented four times in different variations among the 121 packs, rare themes twice, and mythic themes are represented only once. The rarity of a given pack should not be taken as an indication of power level; but rather how replayable the theme is. The variant decklists of a given theme always have the same general flavor, mana curve, and game plan. In addition to the Rainbow deck, each color features two mythic themes, three rare themes, and four common themes.
^* New card.
Jumpstart comes with neither tokens nor emblems: that said, a number of cards in the set generate tokens, so a list is provided below for reference. (A list of tokens and emblems for cards printed in Core 2021 can be found here.)
- 2/2 Cat creature for Ajani's Chosen.
- 1/1 Dog creature for Release the Dogs.
- 1/1 Human creature for Voice of the Provinces.
- 2/2 Knight creature with vigilance for Knightly Valor.
- 1/1 Soldier creature for Ironroot Warlord, Lena, Selfless Champion and Raise the Alarm.
- 2/2 Unicorn creature for Blessed Sanctuary.†
- 4/4 Angel with flying for Angelic Ascension.
- 2/2 Drake with flying for Talrand, Sky Summoner and Talrand's Invocation.
- 1/1 Thopter artifact creature for Sharding Sphinx.
- 2/1 Cat creature for Penumbra Bobcat.†
- 1/1 Rat creature for Ogre Slumlord.
- 2/2 Zombie creature for Ghoulcaller Gisa, Ghoulcaller's Accomplice, Liliana's Reaver and Zombie Infestation.
- 1/1 Devil creature with "When this creature dies, it deals 1 damage to any target," for Dance with Devils and Zurzoth, Chaos Rider.
- 5/5 Dragon creature with flying for Lathliss, Dragon Queen.
- 1/1 Elemental creature for Young Pyromancer.
- 1/1 Goblin creature for Beetleback Chief, Dragon Fodder, Goblin Instigator, Goblin Rally and Krenko, Mob Boss.
- 2/3 Minotaur creature with haste for Flurry of Horns.†
- 2/3 Minotaur creature for Sethron, Hurloon General.
- 3/3 Beast creature for Primeval Bounty and Thragtusk.
- 3/3 Boar creature for Brindle Shoat.
- 3/3 Dinosaur creature with trample for Thundering Spineback.
- 2/2 Elemental creature for Zendikar's Roil.
- 1/1 Elf Warrior creature for Ambassador Oak, Dwynen's Elite and Presence of Gond.
- 1/1 Saproling creature for Sporemound and Verdant Embrace.
- 1/1 Myr artifact creature for Myr Sire and Parasitic Implant.
- Food for Bake into a Pie and Tempting Witch.
- Treasure for Corsair Captain, Prosperous Pirates, Rapacious Dragon and Sailor of Means.
^† These tokens do not have paper printings as of the time of release.
The following tokens are produced by cards exclusive to the digital release of Jumpstart on Arena.
- 0/1 Goat creature created by Woe Strider.
- 2/2 Pegasus creature with flying for Archon of Sun's Grace.
Jumpstart contains two cycles of new cards.
|Hybrid legends||Emiel the Blessed ()||Inniaz, the Gale Force ()||Kels, Fight Fixer ()||Sethron, Hurloon General ()||Neyith of the Dire Hunt ()|
|Five rare or mythic rare legendary creatures, each of which has an ability requiring allied color hybrid mana.|
|Thriving lands||Thriving Heath||Thriving Isle||Thriving Moor||Thriving Bluff||Thriving Grove|
|Five common taplands. Each one taps for a given color or a color chosen when it enters the battlefield.|
- 1 Blessed Sanctuary
- 2 Brightmare
- 3 Emiel the Blessed
- 4 Release the Dogs
- 5 Steel-Plume Marshal
- 6 Stone Haven Pilgrim
- 7 Supply Runners
- 8 Trusty Retriever
- 9 Archaeomender
- 10 Bruvac the Grandiloquent
- 11 Corsair Captain
- 12 Inniaz, the Gale Force
- 13 Ormos, Archive Keeper
- 14 Scholar of the Lost Trove
- 19 Chained Brute
- 20 Immolating Gyre
- 21 Lightning Phoenix
- 22 Lightning Visionary
- 23 Living Lightning
- 24 Muxus, Goblin Grandee
- 25 Sethron, Hurloon General
- 26 Spiteful Prankster
- 27 Zurzoth, Chaos Rider
New art lands
- 38 Plains Legion
- 39 Plains Doctor
- 40 Plains Angels
- 41 Plains Unicorns
- 42 Plains Enchanted
- 43 Plains Heavily Armored
- 44 Plains Feathered Friends
- 45 Plains Dogs
- 46 Island Under the Sea
- 47 Island Wizards
- 48 Island Above the Clouds
- 49 Island Archaeology
- 50 Island Mill
- 51 Island Spirits
- 52 Island Pirates
- 53 Island Well-Read
- 54 Swamp Minions
- 55 Swamp Discarding
- 56 Swamp Reanimated
- 57 Swamp Rogues
- 58 Swamp Phyrexians (uses Phyrexian script)
- 59 Swamp Witchcraft
- 60 Swamp Vampires
- 61 Swamp Spooky
- 62 Mountain Dragons
- 63 Mountain Devils
- 64 Mountain Seismic
- 65 Mountain Goblins
- 66 Mountain Spellcasting
- 67 Mountain Smashing
- 68 Mountain Lightning
- 69 Mountain Minotaurs
- 70 Forest Tree-Hugging
- 71 Forest Lands
- 72 Forest Plus One
- 73 Forest Dinosaurs
- 74 Forest Cats
- 75 Forest Walls
- 76 Forest Predatory
- 77 Forest Elves
- 78 Terramorphic Expanse Rainbow
Other cards with new art
- 328 Goblin Lore
Paper and digital exclusives
Twenty cards are excluded from the MTG Arena release as a result of either their perceived power level being too high for Historic, their digital version being too difficult to use (such as requiring multiple repeated choices from players) or their implementation requiring more time than was available. These 20 paper exclusive cards were replaced with 20 alternative cards when Jumpstart was released on Arena, 5 of which were new to Arena.
|Color||Paper variant||Online variant||Packs affected|
|Ajani's Chosen||Archon of Sun's Grace||Enchanted|
|Angelic Arbiter||Serra's Guardian||Angels|
|Path to Exile||Banishing Light||Legion|
|Read the Runes||Gadwick, the Wizened||Well-Read|
|Rhystic Study||Teferi's Ageless Insight||Well-Read|
|Thought Scour||Weight of Memory||Mill|
|Exhume||Bond of Revival||Reanimated|
|Mausoleum Turnkey||Audacious Thief||Rogues|
|Scourge of Nel Toth||Woe Strider||Reanimated|
|Sheoldred, Whispering One||Carnifex Demon‡||Phyrexian|
|Ball Lightning||Lightning Serpent‡||Lightning|
|Chain Lightning||Lightning Strike||Lightning|
|Draconic Roar||Scorching Dragonfire||Dragons|
|Flametongue Kavu||Fanatic of Mogis‡||Smashing|
|Goblin Lore||Goblin Oriflamme‡||Goblins|
|Lightning Bolt||Lightning Strike||Lightning|
|Fa'adiyah Seer||Dryad Greenseeker||Lands|
|Scrounging Bandar||Pollenbright Druid||Plus One|
|Time to Feed||Prey Upon||Predatory|
There were several quality issues reported for Jumpstart packs. The most notable was the appearance of cards with two different card faces layered over each other. These "fused" cards resulted in combining basic lands into accidental dual lands that garnered high prices on the secondary market.
Changes in rarity
Shifted from the last non-precon set (mentioned in parentheses).
Common to uncommon
Common to rare
Rare to uncommon
Uncommon to common
These cards are all new to Pauper.
Pack Summary cards
- Information below the text box
- Wizards of the Coast (February 20, 2020). "Introducing Jumpstart: A New Way To Play Magic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Weekly MTG: Jumpstart!. Twitch.tv/magic (February 20, 2020).
- David McCoy (February 21, 2020). "Jumpstart is a New Sealed/Preconstructed Hybrid Product, Releases July 3, 2020". Hipsters of the Coast.
- WPN. "Jumpstart Product page". Wizards Play Network.
- Wizards of The Coast (April 2, 2020). "Jumpstart Release Shifts to July 17". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (October 1, 2020). "Jumpstart Tabletop Release (EU)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2020). "Need I Say Core". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (February 27, 2020). "Is jumpstart more focused on 1v1 or is it also geared towards multiplayer?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (February 26, 2020). "how many packs in a booster box of Jumpstart?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Jumpstart. Amazon.com.
- WPN (June 18, 2020). "Sneak Peek: Marketing Kits for M21, Jumpstart, More". Wizards Play Network.
- Alex Wiltshire (June 16, 2020). "You might finally have time for Magic: The Gathering thanks to Jumpstart". Rockpapershotgun.com.
- Wizards of the Coast (June 17, 2020). "Jumpstart Cards Being Replaced in MTG Arena". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Heggen (June 18, 2020). "Stay Safe and Throw Lava". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (June 17, 2020). "Behind the Scenes of Designing Jumpstart". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Alex Wiltshire (June 17, 2020). "Magic: The Gathering Jumpstart packs revealed: Minions and Rainbow". Rockpapershotgun.
- Wizards of the Coast (June 23, 2020). "MTG Arena: State of the Game -June 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July 15, 2020). "Jump into Jumpstart on MTG Arena". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- MTG_OG_VA (July 18, 2020). "Opened a Jumpstart booster and got 7 Volcanic Islands in it!". Reddit.
- lupulinaddiction (July 12, 2020). "Anyone else open misprints from Jumpstart?". Reddit.