|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Symbol description||Double-headed axe|
|Design||Ethan Fleischer (lead)|
|Development||Dave Humphries (lead)|
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||February 5, 2021|
|Themes and mechanics||Modal double-faced cards, tribal, Sagas, snow|
|Keywords/ability words||Boast, changeling, foretell|
|Forgotten Realms Standard|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
|“||Raise Your Axe||”|
This set is a top-down Norse mythology-inspired set; Magic's take on what a world inspired by Vikings might look like. This set contains 285 regular cards (10 basic lands) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The number of regular cards include snow basic lands (#276-285). Each type has two different pieces of art. Alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #286-289, borderless pathways are #290-293, borderless Foretell mythics are #294-298, Viking showcase cards are numbered #299-332, the showcase Vorinclex with Phyrexian text is #333 and extended artwork cards are numbered #334-373. Unique cards in Set- and Theme Boosters are numbered #374–393. The basic land cards from the Bundle promo are numbered #394-398. The Buy-a-Box card is #399 and the Bundle promo is #400. The FNM-treatment cards from the Universal promo pack are numbered #401-405.
The planeswalker Kaya visits a world of prophecy and legend, mortals and monsters. A world of many realms, epic sagas, bound by one truth. Viking or Valkyrie, Elf or Dwarf, all belong to the World Tree, all are supplicant to the gods. Gods who travel between the realms to do their bidding for peace, for bloodshed, or for their own amusement. But what if there was a way to harness this power? A weapon with the ability to protect all. A weapon of pure strength. Forged for a god. Or... in more creative hands, a weapon of unimaginable chaos.
The World Tree is the origin of all life on Kaldheim, and you can see the branches in the sky in all ten realms. However, they look different in each realm. The Ten Realms are constantly shifting and moving around the World Tree and can even collide. Such an epic event is called a "doomskar" and causes earthquakes, destabilization, and total chaos.
The cards that represent the Story Spotlights in Kaldheim are:
- Battle for Bretagard
- Dogged Pursuit
- Fall of the Impostor
- Forging the Tyrite Sword
- Invasion of the Giants
- Kaya's Onslaught
- King Harald's Revenge
- Open the Omenpaths
- Rise of the Dread Marn
- Starnheim Unleashed
- The Trickster-God's Heist
Kaldheim is sold in regular 16-card Draft Boosters (one card being a marketing card), Theme Boosters, Collector Boosters, Set Boosters, the Kaldheim Bundle, and two Commander decks. For Kaldheim, the production of Welcome Boosters was put on hold for North America and Europe. The Draft Boosters feature artwork from Niko, Kaya, Tibalt and Tyvar. The Theme Boosters feature art from TBA (Vikings), Starnheim Aspirant (), TBA (), Thornmantle Striker (), Surtland Flinger (), and Canopy Tactician (). The Collector Boosters feature art of TBA. The Set Boosters feature art from TBA.
- Magic Online and MTG Arena release: January 28, 2021
- Tabletop Prerelease: January 29–February 4
- Launch party: February 6–February 7
- Friday Night Magic: February 5–April 9
- Commander Nights (a weekly Commander league with rotating rules and achievement-based prizes): February 8–April 15
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Kaldheim.
- Other events: cards from the Kaldheim universal promo pack.
- Buy-a-Box: foil alternate art Realmwalker
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art Reflections of Littjara
- Bring-a-Friend: Reliquary Tower 
Tokens, emblems and markers
- Shard, for Niko Aris.
- 4/4 Angel creature with flying and vigilance, for Rampage of the Valkyries and Valkyrie Harbinger.
- 4/4 Angel Warrior creature with flying and vigilance, for Firja's Punishment and Starnheim Unleashed.
- 1/1 Human Warrior creature, for Battle for Bretagard.
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying, for Clarion Spirit and Kaya the Inexorable.
- 1/1 Bird creature with flying, for Alrund's Epiphany and Ravenform.
- 4/4 Giant Wizard creature, for Giant's Amulet.
- Koma's Coil, a 3/3 Serpent creature, for Koma, Cosmos Serpent.
- 2/2 Shapeshifter creature with changeling, for Maskwood Nexus and The Bears of Littjara.
- 2/2 Zombie Berserker creature, for Death Knell Berserker, Draugr's Helm, and Rise of the Dread Marn.
- 2/3 Demon Berserker creature with menace, for The Bloodsky Massacre.
- 5/5 Dragon creature with flying, for Dragonkin Berserker.
- 2/1 Dwarf Berserker creature, for Reckless Crew and Warchanter Skald.
- 2/2 Bear creature, for Path to the World Tree.
- 2/2 Cat creature, for Esika's Chariot.
- 1/1 Elf Warrior creature, for Battle for Bretagard, Elven Ambush, Elvish Warmaster, Matantiga Mentor, and Tyvar Kell.
- 4/4 Troll Warrior creature with trample, for Old-Growth Troll and Waking the Trolls.
- Replicated Ring, a snow artifact with ": Add one mana of any color," for Replicating Ring.
- Treasure, for Forging the Tyrite Sword, Goldspan Dragon, Magda, Brazen Outlaw, Smashing Success, and Seize the Spoils.
- Copy, for Reflections of Littjara.
- Emblem for Kaya the Inexorable.
- Emblem for Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor.
- Emblem for Tyvar Kell.
- Foretell marker.
Themes and mechanics
Kaldheim has a tribal theme. Each Realm is associated with two colors of magic and one creature type: spirits in , zombies in , demons in , trolls in , humans in , angels in , giants in , elves in , dwarves in , and shapeshifters in .
In lieu of the abandoned block model, R&D has found a new way to tie together the three non-core premier sets in a single Magic "year" (aka the fall, winter, and spring sets—using northern hemisphere seasons): they share a common mechanic. For Zendikar Rising, Kaldheim and Strixhaven: School of Mages that is modal double-faced cards. Modal double-faced cards have two faces, one on each side. When you play a modal double-faced card, you choose the face you're playing.
A returning mechanic is changeling, which is used to make a cohesive set (like it was used in Lorwyn and Modern Horizons previously). Changeling is a characteristic-defining ability that grants the object it’s on every creature type. The mechanic is again tied to shapeshifters.
A new mechanic is foretell. During your turn, you may pay and exile a card with foretell from your hand face down. You may cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost. Each card with foretell has a Raven watermark.
Another new mechanic is boast. Boast adds a drawback to an activated ability which is referred as the boast ability. The drawback is as follows: a player can only activate the boast ability after the creature with the ability attacks and at most once each turn.
The supertype Snow also returns, and this time on non-permanents. Snow doesn't really do anything by itself, but it can be referred to by other cards in various ways. Snow cards now have their own recognizable snow frame. Each Draft Booster will include a Snow basic land slot and has a chance to be foil. There is a chance for one of the dual snow lands to take the Snow land slot.
|Rare gods||Egon, God of Death||Tergrid, God of Fright||Kolvori, God of Kinship||Jorn, God of Winter|
|Throne of Death||Tergrid's Lantern||The Ringhart Crest||Kaldring, the Rimestaff ()|
|Seven rare MDFCs, the front of each being a monocolor God and the back a legendary permanent spell. Odd cycle due to there being 12 Gods present on Kaldheim.|
|Pathways||Hengegate Pathway||Blightstep Pathway||Darkbore Pathway||Barkchannel Pathway|
|Mistgate Pathway||Searstep Pathway||Slitherbore Pathway||Tidechannel Pathway|
|Four rare modal double-faced lands, each side of which enters untapped and taps for a single color of mana. The other six were featured in Zendikar Rising.|
- Annul, first printed in Urza's Saga, last seen in Theros.
- Broken Wings, first printed in Zendikar Rising.
- Run Amok, first printed in Dominaria, last seen in Mystery Booster.
- Village Rites, first printed in Core Set 2021.
- The snow basic lands (e.g. Snow-Covered Plains), first printed in Ice Age, last seen in Modern Horizons.
Kaldheim features two Commander decks that are released as a regular part of a set's product line.
|Elven Empire||B||G||Lathril, Blade of the Elves|
|Phantom Premonition||W||U||Ranar the Ever-Watchful|
- Mark Rosewater (September 17, 2020). "Who were the lead designers of Kaldheim, Strixhaven and Forgotten Realms". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast. "Standings 2020-21". Magic.gg.
- WPN (October 29, 2020). "Kaldheim: All the Dates & Scheduling Info You Need". Wizards Play Network.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 14, 2020). "Welcome to the Face-Melting World of Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 1, 2020). "Zendikar Debut and Announcement Day Recap". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 8, 2020). "Is Kaldheim a top-down Norse Mythology inspired plane?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Blake Rasmussen (December 16, 2020). "Set and Theme Booster Additions". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian (December 17, 2020). "Collecting Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Procoretech (November 12, 2020). "Bored so enhancing bad photos of rubbish seems fine.. oh and, Bearded Axe". Reddit.
- Mark Rosewater (January 11, 2021). "Norsing Around, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN (December 17, 2020). "First Kaldheim Previews: Buy-a-Box, Packaging, Product Mix & More". Wizards Play Network.
- Ari Zirulnik (January 7, 2021). "Kaldheim Product Overview". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 16, 2020). "Updating The List for Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 7, 2020). "Zendikar Rising to the Challenge, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Amanda Yeo (September 4, 2020). "New 'Magic: The Gathering' Zendikar Rising card makes rocks fall, everyone dies". Mashable.com.
- Mark Rosewater (September 4, 2020). "Just want to confirm that this is accurate information?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Matt Tabak (December 7, 2020). "Kaldheim Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kaldheim Fest (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.
- Mark Rosewater (December 20, 2020). "Was viking too real world to be a creature type?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 21, 2020). "But.... it is a job title.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 11, 2020). "Will they still be "X Pathway // Y Pathway"?". Blogatog. Tumblr.