|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty|
|Symbol description||Rising sun behind a mountain|
|Design||Mark Rosewater (lead)|
|Art direction||Zack Stella|
|Release date||February 18, 2022|
|Themes and mechanics||Legendary creatures, Ninjas.|
|Keywords/ability words||Channel, Ninjutsu|
|Set size||302 +|
|Streets of New Capenna Standard|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Preconstructed decks
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
|“||Light It Up||”|
Public domain name registries connected to this name were filed by NetworkSolutions in October, 2020. A further registration with the gg domain was filed by Wizards itself in May 2021. The set was already hinted at in a public Magic survey from November 19, 2019 that featured multiple pieces of Planeswalker art with descriptions referencing a future Kamigawa. The setting is described as Magic: The Gathering's first science fiction plane. Several Japanese artists were engaged to produce card illustrations, among them famous manga artists like Tetsuo Hara. The central conflict of the set is the conflict between modernity and tradition - a metafictional reference to how R&D struggled to develop a sequel to one of the worst received blocks of Magic, separating it from the previous setting while making it recognizably the same plane. Half of the set features the new mechanized world of modern Kamigawa, while the other half depicts the more traditional Kamigawa as seen in the earlier block.
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty contains 302 regular cards (10 basic lands) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The regular cards include 10 "Ukiyo-e" basic lands. Each type has two different pieces of "block-stamped" art. Alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #303-TBA, "Ninja frame" showcase cards are numbered #TBA-TBA, "Soft Glow" showcase cards are #TBA-TBA, and extended artwork cards are numbered #TBA-TBA. The regular framed basic land cards from the Bundle are numbered #TBA-TBA. The Buy-a-Box card is #507 and the Bundle promo is #TBA. The "Neon Ink" cards are #429-232.
The "Ninja frame" showcase cards are all Ninjas. The 'soft glow" showcase cards are all TBA. The "Neon Ink" card treatment only appears on four different versions of Hidetsugu., Devouring Chaos. There are about half as many green ink cards as blue ink cards, and about a quarter that many red ink cards as green ink cards. The yellow ink cards are a promo for WPN Premium shops.
Neon Dynasty is set in the current era on Kamigawa, more than 1200 years after conclusion of the original Kamigawa block in 3326 AR. The plane's feudal past has met futuristic modernity, with ninjas and samurai now carrying a cyberpunk aesthetic.
Neon Dynasty is sold in regular 16-card Draft Boosters (one card being a marketing card), Theme Boosters, Collector Boosters, Set Boosters, the Neon Dynasty Bundle, and two Commander decks. The Draft Boosters feature artwork depicting Kaito Shizuki. The Set Boosters feature art depicting the Wanderer, and the Collector Boosters feature a brightly color-shifted version of TBA. The Theme Boosters feature art from TBA (Ninjas), TBA (), TBA (), TBA (), TBA () and TBA (). With the release of Neon Dynasty, TBA cards were rotated into The List, many of which were thematically or mechanically linked to the set. These can be found in the Set Boosters.
Beadle & Grimms Silver and Platinum Editions
For this set, Wizards of the Coast partnered with Beadle & Grimms, a gaming company that previously had offered official, expanded editions of Dungeons & Dragons modules and other games. They are known to create in-flavor maps, handouts, artifacts, bonus encounters, and other accessories.
Their Kamigawa Silver Edition for $ 199.00 included a demon-themed Lightning Blue deck box, 100 Gold Dragon sleeves, a Kamigawa Art card folio, an art-inspired life counter, a LED playmat, a Kamigawa metal counter set, a demon mask necklace, an exclusive game log, a Kamigawa world map and an in-world Guide to Kamigawa.
The Kamigawa Platinum Edition for $ 449.00 additionally included an exclusive Neon Dynasty-themed backpack, a sword-adorned card vault, a kami-themed Neon Pink deck box, 100 Black Dragon sleeves, a Kamigawa wall art poster, 5 lithographic art prints and a sidekick plush.
These sets of merchandise notably don't include Magic playing cards.
In January 2022, players can step into the streets of Kamigawa with a special web-based augmented reality experience exclusive to WPN stores. Scanning a QR code in stores with their mobile device, players can view and interact with a street market as long as they're in the store. During the event, players can also access exclusive animated preview cards among other unique encounters within the environment.
- Magic Online and MTG Arena release: February 10, 2022
- Tabletop Prerelease: February 11–17, 2022
- Launch party: February 18–20, 2022
- Friday Night Magic: February 25–April 22, 2022
- Commander Nights: February 28–April 28, 2022
- Game Day: March 5, 2022
- Game Day: Consider (participation), Fateful Absence (Top 8) and Atsushi, The Blazing Sky (First place)
- WPN Premium shops: Hidetsugu, Devouring Chaos (Yellow Neon Ink)
- Buy-a-Box: foil alternate art Satoru Umezawa
There are TBA tokens and emblems:
- 2/2 Samurai creature with vigilance, for Eiganjo Uprising.
- 1/1 Ninja creature with "This creature can't be blocked", for Kaito Shizuki.
- 5/5 Dragon Spirit creature with flying, for Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei
- Treasure artifact, for Atsushi, the Blazing Sky
- Emblem for Kaito Shizuki
Themes and mechanics
Ninjutsu is a returning mechanic from Betrayers of Kamigawa. It allows a player to put a Ninja creature card from their hand into play tapped and attacking by paying a cost while returning another attacking, unblocked creature they control to its owner's hand.
Another returning mechanic is Channel, which was first seen in Saviors of Kamigawa. Channel cards have an activated ability that lets you discard them to get a temporary effect. This time around it isn't exclusively tied to Spirit creatures.
The Beadle & Grimms merchandise includes keyword counters.
Vehicles are featured as constructs that the Kami can inhabit for a more physical form.
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty has two cycles.
|Legendary dragons||Junji, the Midnight Sky||Atsushi, the Blazing Sky|
|Five mythic rare legendary Dragon Spirits that have a choice of two abilities when the creature dies.|
|Legendary lands||Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire||Takenuma, Abandoned Mire|
|Five rare legendary lands with channel. The channel ability costs less to activate for each legendary creature you control.|
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty features two Commander decks that are released as a regular part of a set's product line.
Planeswalker card seen during the Teaser
- Evan Erwin (November 23, 2021). "@wizards_magic can you share/confirm the three letter set code for Kamigawa Neon Dynasty?". Twitter.
- Adam Styborski (August 24, 2021). "What Happened In Magic Showcase 2021?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN (October 25, 2021). "Mark Your Calendars! Important Dates for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty". Wizards Play Network.
- Mtgspoilerthrowawayaccount (October 14, 2020). "The MTG Spoiler Thing". Coolstuffinc.com.
- Paynswalker (May 5, 2021). "The Hot New Trend in MTG Domains (and a minor confirmation)". Reddit.
- Public Magic survey. Imgur mirror (November 19, 2019).
- Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty First Look (Video). Weekly MTG. YouTube (December 16, 2021).
- Wizards of the Coast (December 16, 2021). "An Electrifying First Look at Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Showcase 2021 (live) (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (August 24, 2021).
- Mark Rosewater (August 24, 2021). "Is Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty concurrent with the rest of Magic's story, or is it set in the future?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 25, 2021). "The numbers". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- WPN (December 6, 2021). "First Look at Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Products and New AR Experience". Wizards Play Network.
- Christian Hoffer (December 10, 2021). "Beadle & Grimm's Expands Into Magic: The Gathering With Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Platinum and Silver Editions". Comickbook.com.
- Charlie Hall (December 17, 2021). "Beadle & Grimm’s announces a new high-end line of accessories for Magic: The Gathering". Polygon.com.
- Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Official Teaser (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (December 16, 2021).
- Wizards of the Coast (November 2, 2021). "Dates to Know for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty and More in 2022". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN (December 16, 2021). "Game Day Returns for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty". Wizards Play Network.
- Diakia (December 27, 2021). "Possible leaks from the MTG Oddities Facebook group". Reddit.