WPN supported activities[edit | edit source]
Local game shops can be the venue for the lower levels of Organized Play, supported by the Wizards Play Network (WPN). Prereleases provide a casual play atmosphere and an enjoyable atmosphere to get a preview of new cards. Friday Night Magic (FNM) enables players to compete for special foil DCI cards and other prizes. These tournaments are mostly for amateurs and are a good place to start your Magic-playing career, but are only available at stores and clubs with Wizards of the Coast Premiere status.
In-store play program[edit | edit source]
- New Player: No knowledge of how to play Magic.
- Interested Player: Basic understanding of Magic, ready to learn more about strategy and game play.
- Engaged Player: Competence in Magic game play, eager to invest in the game on a regular basis.
- Super Fan: Dedicated to Magic for the long-term
Ideal event path[edit | edit source]
|Event||Primary audience||Secondary audience||When|
|Magic Open House||New||Interested, Engaged||Saturday prior to each set's prerelease.|
|Magic League||Interested||New, Engaged||Four successive weeks, starting the Monday after each set's release.|
|Friday Night Magic||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekly on Fridays.|
|Prerelease||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekend before release|
|Draft Weekend||Engaged||Interested||Weekend after release|
|Standard Showdown||Engaged||Interested||Eight consecutive weekends after release|
|Store Championship||Engaged||Eight weeks after release|
Product path[edit | edit source]
With the expanded product mix that was introduced with Throne of Eldraine — Collector Boosters, Theme Boosters, and Brawl Decks especially — the ideal product path became less about player's experience level and more about the kind of experience the player wanted. This aspect was further strengthened with the introduction of the Arena Starter Kit en the Welcome Booster with Core Set 2021.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Maria Bartholdi (May 23, 2017). "What's In Store? Owning Your Own LGS". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Tulach (July 16, 2017). "In-Store Play Evolves". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 17, 2017). "The July 17, 2017 Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 12, 2017). "The Ideal Event Path". Wizards Play Network
- WPN (September 16, 2019). "Magic's New Product Path, From Planeswalker Decks to Collector Boosters". Wizards Play Network.
- WPN (June 10, 2020). "The Reimagined New Player Experience, From Start To Finish". Wizards Play Network.