|(Subtype for instant/sorcery spells)|
20 cardsas of Strixhaven: School of Mages
25% 10% 10% 10% 10% 10% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5%
Lesson is a new spell subtype found on some instant and sorcery cards. In Strixhaven it only appeared on sorceries. The Lesson subtype has no special rules associated with it.
When learning you may reveal a Lesson card from outside the game and put it into your hand. There is a wide variety of Lesson cards to represent a wide variety of areas of study, e.g. token generation, removal, card draw, etc. Lesson cards are marked by the depiction of a scroll in the upper left corner.
- 205.3k Instants and sorceries share their lists of subtypes; these subtypes are called spell types. The spell types are Adventure, Arcane, Lesson, and Trap.
- If a card is brought into the game from outside the game, it will stay in the game until it ends or until its owner leaves the game, whichever comes first.
- If you bring a card into the game from outside the game in a Constructed tournament (or a Constructed game played under tournament conditions), you may select only a card from your sideboard. In casual Constructed games, the card comes from your collection.
- If you bring a card into the game from outside the game in a Sealed Deck or Booster Draft event, you may select only a card that is in the card pool that you built your deck from.
- The official Commander rules don't include sideboards, but if you're using them anyway or casually allowing players to get cards from their collections, cards you bring into the game from outside the game can't share a name with any card in your starting deck.
- If instructed to learn, you may do nothing. Discarding a card and putting a Lesson card into your hand are both optional.
- Although you may want to include Lessons in your sideboard if you're playing with cards that instruct you learn, Lesson cards can be included in your main deck like other instant or sorcery cards.
First Day of Class
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it gains haste until end of turn.
Learn. (You may reveal a Lesson card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand, or discard a card to draw a card.)