|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
10 cardsas of Modern Horizons 2
10% 10% 20% 20% 30% 10%
|“||Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoyf!||”|
—Saffi Eriksdotter, last words
Lhurgoyf is an all-color creature type used for cards that depict large, reptilian creatures, with distinctive elongated limbs and large, toothed mouths. Lhurgoyf are primarily scavengers. They come in a wide variety of shapes depending on their scavenged sustenance of choice.
The first card to bear the creature type was the classical Lhurgoyf in Ice Age. Lhurgoyf's power is equal to the number of creature cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
Odyssey followed up with a cycle of Lhurgoyfs: these rare creatures' power and toughness were equal the number of cards of a given related card type to its colour in all graveyards, and each had an ability common to its color. — Cantivore (white, empowered by enchantments, has vigilance), Cognivore (blue, instants, flying), Mortivore (black, creatures, regeneration), Magnivore (red, sorceries, haste) and Terravore (green, lands, trample). Magnivore and Mortivore were reprinted in 9th Edition.
- The original Lhurgoyf inspired several designs: Ach! Hans, Run! (Unhinged), Revenant (Stronghold), Saffi Eriksdotter (Time Spiral) and Hans Eriksson (Commander Legends).
- The Tarmogoyf feeds on death.
- The "Lhurgoyf" ability (This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your/all graveyards) nowadays is primary in green, secondary in black and tertiary in white, blue, and red.
- Doug Beyer (December 24, 2008). "How to Design a Hellion and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 18, 2007). "Putting the Tarmo in your Goyf". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (November 13, 2006). "The Legends of Time Spiral". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 9, 2020). "Quite Some Characters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (May 27, 2013). "Sketchogoyf". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Pro Tour–Valencia Qualifying Season: Top 8 Decklists
- Gavin Verhey (March 2, 2017). "The Card That Changed the World". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.