This is a list of Magic: The Gathering statistical facts and trivia.
As of the release of Strixhaven: School of Mages:
- Total lands: 791
- Total tribal: 56
- Total planeswalkers: 235
- Cards in a set: Mystery Booster (1936)
- Card types used on a single card: 3
- Art versions: Evolving Wilds and Stone Rain (14), Counterspell (13)
- Used keyword: Flying (2017) (includes Vintage-legal sets, excludes revisions)
- Used subtype: Human (2585)
- Expensive card: 1996 World Champion was sold by the cards original owner, Tom Chanpheng, to a private collector for $17,500 in 2001. In 2017, it again appeared on eBay for $200,000. Magic Librarities Administrator Dragsamou verified the authenticiy of the post, though the owner did not end up selling it.
|Swords to Plowshares||35|
Mind Rot is the only card (so far) to have been Standard-legal for 20 years straight. It originally debuted in Portal but eventually was added to the core set with Seventh Edition and had been in every core set since (and Kaladesh). The card left Standard when Core Set 2021 rotated out.
- Cards in a set: Arabian Nights (78)
- Used keyword: Absorb, Frenzy, Gravestorm, & Transfigure (1) each
- Each of these cards are "Futureshifted" and will possibly make appearances in later sets.
- Used subtype (on the type line): Coward (Craven Hulk), Dreadnought (Phyrexian Dreadnought), Ferret (Joven's Ferrets), Fractal (Esix, Fractal Bloom), Mouse (Canyon Jerboa), Oyster (Giant Oyster), Reflection (Aurora of Emrakul), Sable (Bronze Sable) & Spawn (Elder Spawn) (1) each
- Mana value: Gleemax (1,000,000)
- Non-silver bordered: Draco (16)
- Non-creature artifact: The Cauldron of Eternity (12)
- Equipment: Elbrus, The Binding Blade (7)
- Enchantment: Omniscience (10)
- Instant: Blinkmoth Infusion (14)
- Sorcery: Enter the Infinite (12)
- Activation cost: Spawnsire of Ulamog (20)
- Base power: Infinity Elemental (∞)
- Base toughness: B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster) (99)
- Power/toughness difference: Infinity Elemental (∞/5)
- Non-silver bordered: Force of Savagery (8/0)
- Toughness/power difference: Kharis & The Beholder (1/20)
- Regular Set: Charix, the Raging Isle (0/17)
- Base life gain: Heroes Remembered (20)
- Base damage to ...
- Converted mana cost: There are various cards with or no mana cost (e.g. Crimson Kobolds, Evermind) making the lowest cost 0.
- Urza's Saga is the only enchantment with converted mana cost lower than 1.
- Power: Char-Rumbler & Spinal Parasite (-1) (A creature with 0 or less power deals no damage).
- Toughness: Spinal Parasite (-1)
Sets named after cards
The following sets share their name with cards:
|Set||Card (First Release)||Notes|
|Coldsnap||Cold Snap (Ice Age)|
|Conflux||Conflux (Conflux)||Card in set of the same name|
|Conspiracy||Conspiracy (Mercadian Masques)|
|Future Sight||Future Sight (Onslaught)|
|Hour of Devastation||Hour of Devastation (Hour of Devastation)||Card in set of the same name|
|Mirrodin Besieged||Mirrodin Besieged (Modern Horizons)||Card released after the set|
|Planar Chaos||Planar Chaos (Judgment)|
|Time Spiral||Time Spiral (Urza's Saga)|
|Urza's Saga||Urza's Saga (Modern Horizons 2)||Card released after the set|
|Weatherlight||Weatherlight (Dominaria)||Card released after the set|
Identical card names and subtypes
- Centaur Archer
- Dauthi Horror
- Dragon Egg
- Dragon Turtle
- Faerie Noble
- Fungus Elemental
- Fungus Sliver
- Goblin Assassin
- Goblin Berserker
- Goblin Mime
- Goblin Mutant
- Goblin Wizard
- Homarid Shaman
- Homarid Warrior
- Kavu Scout
- Lizard Warrior
- Merfolk Assassin
- Metathran Soldier
- Metathran Zombie
- Minotaur Warrior
- Ogre Berserker
- Ogre Shaman
- Ogre Warrior
- Phyrexian Dreadnought
- Phyrexian Hydra
- Phyrexian Juggernaut
- Plant Elemental
- Skeleton Archer
- Spike Drone
- Spike Soldier
- Thrull Wizard
- Vampire Noble
- Viashino Skeleton
- Viashino Warrior
- Zombie Assassin
- Zombie Ogre
Card names that combine other card names
- Dread Wight — Dread and Wight
- Glory Seeker — Glory and Seeker
- Restore Balance — Restore and Balance
- Stasis Cocoon — Stasis and Cocoon
- Void Shatter — Void and Shatter
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Cards
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Artifacts
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Creatures
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Enchantments
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Instants
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Sorceries
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Lands
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Basic Lands
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Snow Lands
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Tribal Cards
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Planeswalkers
- Retrieved from Scryfall Creatures with flying
- Retrieved from Scryfall All Human Cards
- Unique Cards. Magic Librarities. Retrieved on 2020-03-26.
- 1996 World Champion. Magic Librarities Forum. Retrieved on 2020-03-26.
- Various. Magic: The Gathering#Second market, Wikipedia.org (last modified 21:03, 14 April 2007)
- Seth Quillen (January 19, 2005). "Magic: the Gathering is growing around the world", Utah State University - Hard News Cafe: "...its most expensive card, the coveted Beta Black Lotus card is worth $22,000 alone."
- According to various sources: Yahoo! Answers StarCityGames.com Forum
- StarCityGames.com - Black Lotus information and rulings.
- Charlie Hall (January 27, 2021). "Magic: The Gathering Black Lotus card sells for $511,100 at auction". polygon.com.
- Nate Hofmann (November 26, 2020). "Some Interesting Tidbits About Mtg Cards". Natejh.com.
- Daily MTG History (May 19, 2021). "The card MIND ROT hits a record-setting milestone this month". Twitter.
- Monty Ashley (September 14, 2011). "World Records". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Diego Fumagalli (June 13, 2017). "(Nearly) 25 Years of Magic in Graphics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 8, 2015). "Size Matters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (October, 2008). "Ask Wizards - October, 2008". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 14, 2021). "On the Horizons, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.