Magic: The Gathering (IDW comic)
|Magic: The Gathering|
|Number of issues||4|
Magic: The Gathering is a paperback published by IDW Publishing in 2012, assembling 4 comics which were published earlier in that year. The book follows the exploits of the planeswalker thief Dack Fayden, a Magic character especially created for the series.
Blurbs[edit | edit source]
- Get ready, Magic: The Gathering fans, there's a new Planeswalker in town! In search of greater magical knowledge and on the hunt for the people who destroyed his town, Dack Fayden is the greatest thief in the Multiverse. When he gets his hands on his latest prize, though, he has no idea where it will lead him - or to who!
- After last issue's fierce battle against a group of Innistrad vampires, Dack Fayden has found a new ally: young cathar Ingrid Reichert. With her help, Dack continues to track down the person who devastated his hometown. But when Dack stumbles into another vampire attack, even Ingrid's help may not be enough to get them out alive...
- Dack Fayden has finally caught up to the mage that destroyed his home village, but it might be too late: she has begun casting a deadly spell that will drain hundreds of their life force. And, now that Dack has arrived, he may fall prey to the same dark magic as the rest!
Story[edit | edit source]
Dack Fayden has just stolen the Ancient Fang from the Cult of Rakdos, on the plane of Ravnica, and is being chased by several of the cult's members and a very large dragon-like creature. He is able to hide in a tower but runs into a viashino, who is trying to rob another man. The trapped Dack escapes by planeswalking to Fiora, but not before the viashino has a chance to cut him with his tail.
Now safely on Fiora, Dack goes to the local watering hole where he is recognized, not in a good way, and is forced to use magic to escape an angry mob. He runs upstairs where he runs into his friend Alessa. Alessa begs Dack to take her with him, but he explains to her he can't do that to her children and to her. Dack leaves through the window, and planeswalks back to Ravinca.
Back on Ravnica, Dack goes to see the healer, Fadka, who heals his viashino wound. She also offers to heal his mysterious red stained arm, but Dack refuses, claiming he keeps it as a reminder and it keeps him focused. While Fadka is healing Dack, the fence Vaclav Nosek shows up unannounced. Vaclav tries to convince Dack to sell him the Ancient Fang, but Fadka attempts to kick him out of her shop. Before she does Dack says that after he is done with the artifact, he'll find Vaclav. This seems good enough for Vaclav but he leaves Dack with a warning to find him before they find Dack.
Back at Dack's safe house, he uses a spell to see what the last owner of the Fang saw. He sees his home town of Drakeston and a woman named Mariel, who is looking for Dack. He sees the owner of the Fang, an old woman named Sifa Grent, kill Mariel and her army kill the townspeople. The last thing he sees is Sifa's face now young once again. After putting the Fang away Dack heads off to Innistrad to find Sifa and get his revenge.
While in Innistrad, Dack is forced to save a mother and son from a group of vampires, While making their escape the Baron Eckhart Von Falkenrath, corners Dack and he is forced to pull out the Fang. Upon seeing it the Baron flees. Once Dack gets the family to a safe house he looks into the dagger once again. This time he sees Sifa's face again and a vampire's as well. This time Sifa orders the vampire Baron, against his will, to kill the people of Drakeston and hints that she is looking for Dack. Dack now realizes that the dagger can control vampires and that Sifa is close by.
Promos[edit | edit source]
- Issue #1 (2012-01-02) — Treasure Hunt
- Issue #2 (2012-02-28) — Faithless Looting
- Issue #3 (2012-03-28) — Feast of Blood
- Issue #4 (2012-05-23) — Electrolyze
Covers[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Monty Ashley (September 08, 2011). "Magic Comic Book". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (October 13, 2011). "Comic Book!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (October 27, 2011). "Comic Book Previews!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (November 22, 2011). "Faithless Looting". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (February 13, 2012). "Comic Book Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.