|This article or section discusses story elements that are not canonical.|
Magic: The Gathering is a planned animation series based on the TCG Magic: The Gathering, that was first reported to be in production in June, 2019. The series is to be released on Netflix and is created by Hasbro’s Wizards of the Coast.
As early as 2001, a mini-series for television was considered by Wizards of the Coast, and Mark Rosewater wrote a story treatment. In 2008, the plans were shelved when an agreement was struck with Universal for a Magic: The Gathering movie. However, neither this movie, nor subsequent initiatives led to concrete products.
Russo brothers production
In June 2019, it was reported that Joe and Anthony Russo (Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame) would executive produce the series. The Russos would oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers.
The Magic: The Gathering was said to feature creative talent from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Firefly, Agent Carter, Ultimate Spider-Man, and The Lego Movies.
Octopie would oversee production of the series, with Todd Makurath, Eric Calderon, and Dave Newberg serving as producers, and Mike Larocca and Isaac Krauss serving as executive producers. Henry Gilroy (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Jose Molina (The Tick, Agent Carter) would serve as lead writers and co-executive producers on the series, and Yoriaki Mochizuki would serve as supervising director and co-executive producer.
Jeff Kline production
In August 2021 it was reported that a new creative team led by executive producer Jeff Kline (Transformers: Prime) was put in place. It was said that the Russos and their team, including head writers Henry Gilroy and Jose Molina, had departed early in the process over different visions for how best to adapt the IP. The parting of the ways was amicable, and Netflix subsequently tapped Kline to oversee the creation of an all new storyline.
Kline’s team includes Co-Executive Producer and Story Editor Steve Melching (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Supervising Director Audu Paden, Art Director Izzy Medrano and Writers Nicole Dubuc, Russell Sommer & Dan Frey, and Taneka Stotts. The animation will be done by Snowball Studios, taking over from the originally announced Bardel Studio. Hasbro's studio Entertainment One represents the company on the series' production.
On August 24, it was announced that the series will be screened in 2022. It will star familiar, fresh, and reimagined characters in a whole new story. The main character is Gideon Jura, who is voiced by Brandon Routh.
According to the earliest reports, the story, worlds and characters are going to be true to their preexisting spirit, but the TV Series is going to have its own continuity space similar to how other franchises have done that with adventures in a new medium. In other words, the TV series will not be canon.
In April 2020, it was reported that Netflix was working on a live-action project besides the animated miniseries. The two projects won’t be related. Angelina Jolie was reportedly considered to play Liliana Vess.
- Netflix and the Russo Brothers Join Forces With Wizardss off the Coast For First of Its Kind Animated Series Magic: The Gathering.. Netflix (June 3, 2019).
- Mark Rosewater (February 22, 2016). "Untold Tales". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Nellie Andreeva (August 20, 2021). "‘Magic the Gathering’: Jeff Kline Leads Creative Team Of Netflix Animated Series After Russo Brothers Depar". Deadline.com.
- Adam Styborski (August 24, 2021). "What Happened In Magic Showcase 2021?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Showcase 2021 (live) (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (August 24, 2021).
- Mark Rosewater (July 14, 2017). "Is there any particular reason that Earth is decidedly NOT part of the multiverse?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Jennifer Maas (July 18, 2019). "Russo Bros’ ‘Magic: The Gathering’ Series Will ‘Be True’ to Card Game’s Story – But Carve Out Its Own Continuity". The Wrap.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2019). "Will the Russo brothers Magic show share a canon with the card game or just be based on it?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Tim Brinkhof (April 11, 2020). "Angelina Jolie Reportedly Eyed To Lead Magic: The Gathering Live-Action Movie". Wegotthiscovered.com/.