Magic: The Gathering Companion, also known as MTG Companion, is an official mobile app that started its open beta in August, 2019 and was officially launched on July 15, 2020. It was the replacement for the failed Magic: The Gathering Portal app.
The beta version of this organizer allowed you to set up and organize home tournaments and invite friends to play in them. Launching with just the home tournament organizer didn't mean MTG Companion would stay a single-feature app. The first update added a Round Timer.
At the official launch the app also allowed for participating in event at a Wizards Play Network retailer, receiving tournament information, automatic pairings, standings, a life counter for up to four players, and a commander damage tracker.
Innistrad: Crimson Vow introduced Companion Play Promos. If players sign up for an event using the Companion app, WPN Stores can hand out special bonus promos. WPN stores will receive three different promo cards to be used during any play event they choose.
- Blake Rasmussen (August 19, 2019). "Magic: The Gathering Companion Open Beta Starts Today". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Bill Stark (July 15, 2020). "Companion Launch". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- David McCoy (August 19, 2019). "Interview with Bill Stark, Digital Product Manager for MTG Companion". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (October 1, 2019). "Companion Gets a Round Timer!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Vienna Day Cordier (July 15, 2021). "Dice Rolling Arrives in Companion!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Bill Stark (August 13, 2021). "Companion Card Database Launched Early Acess". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN (September 20, 2021). "All the Dates You Need for Innistrad: Crimson Vow". Wizards Play Network.
- WPN (October 5, 2021). "Companion Play Promos Are Coming – Here’s What You Need to Know". Wizards Play Network.