Aaron Forsythe (lead),|
Erik Lauer (lead),|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||July 16, 2010|
(101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares, 20 basic lands)
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Magic: The Gathering 2011 Core Set (a.k.a Magic 2011 and M11) is the Core Set that was released on July 16, 2010. The worldwide Prerelease took place July 10–11, and Launch Parties took place July 16–18.
Magic 2011 was is sold in 16-card and 6-card booster packs, 5 Intro packs, a fat pack  and a Land Station. The regular boosters featured art from Sun Titan (with white background), Maritime Guard (with blue background), Phylactery Lich (with black background), Hoarding Dragon (with red background) and Obstinate Baloth (with green background). The 6-card booster featured War Priest of Thune.
A promotional version of the new card Sun Titan was given out to players at the Prerelease event. The promotional card for the launch party was the new card Ancient Hellkite. The Buy-a-Box promo was Birds of Paradise. The Magic 2011 Game Day was held on August 14–15, 2010. At this event the DCI-Promo-Card was Liliana's Specter and the Top 8 Finish reward was a full-art foil Mitotic Slime.
Regular boosters of Magic 2011 come with a bonus sixteenth card that is either a "tips & tricks card" or a creature token from Magic 2011. One face of the Magic 2011 bonus card has one of nine different rules tips or is one of six different creature tokens. The other face has one of 13 advertisements for organized play programs, Scars of Mirrodin, Duels of the Planeswalkers for Xbox Live, Magic Online, fat packs, the Planewalker Novel - Test of Metal, the movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Ultra Pro products for Magic. The advertised movie had a Magic tie-in.
Tips & Tricks
The tips & tricks cards are:
- Planeswalker Cards
- Parts of the Turn
- Tokens & Counters
- Building a Deck
- Limited Play
- The Stack
- Gatherer Card Database
- */* Avatar produced by Ajani Goldmane
- 3/3 Bird with flying produced by Roc Egg
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Grave Titan
- 3/3 Beast produced by Garruk Wildspeaker
- 2/2 Ooze produced by Mitotic Slime
- 1/1 Ooze produced by Mitotic Slime
- Deathtouch was changed so that it followed the normal damage assignment rules, instead of ignoring them. Instead, any non-zero amount of damage dealt by a source with deathtouch would now be considered lethal damage. This is a more elegant solution that still allows a creature with deathtouch to kill multiple blockers.
Mechanics and themes
Magic 2011 uses all the evergreen mechanics except for double strike and intimidate. The mechanics flash, regeneration and shroud each appear on only one card, either an uncommon or rare. Magic 2011 is the first core set to use a non-evergreen mechanic, scry, which would not appear in the next core set Magic 2012.
Magic 2011 attempts to give planeswalkers more of a presence, by printing two cycles of "signature spells". Because planeswalkers have to be mythic rare, many players do not see the planeswalker characters very often. The names and artwork of these common and uncommon spells each feature one of the five planeswalkers originally printed in Lorwyn, meaning that players will now see the planeswalker characters a lot more often.
Magic 2011 has 9 horizontal cycles and a four-card cycle.
|Lucky charms||Angel's Feather||Kraken's Eye||Demon's Horn||Dragon's Claw||Wurm's Tooth|
|Each artifact costing and hosting an ability that allows its controller to gain life whenever a spell of the appropriate color is played. (Reprinted from Darksteel) |
|Enemy-color hosers||Celestial Purge||Flashfreeze||Deathmark||Combust||Autumn's Veil|
|Each of these uncommon spells hampers both of their enemy colors at a low mana cost. (First three are reprints from Magic 2010.)|
|Planeswalkers||Ajani Goldmane||Jace Beleren||Liliana Vess||Chandra Nalaar||Garruk Wildspeaker|
|A cycle of mythic rare planeswalkers. (Reprinted from Magic 2010 and Lorwyn.)|
|Uncommon Signature Spells||Ajani's Pridemate||Jace's Ingenuity||Liliana's Caress||Chandra's Spitfire||Garruk's Packleader|
|Each of these uncommon spells contains the name of one of the five original planeswalkers from Lorwyn, and is meant to replicate and/or benefit from that planewalker's abilities.|
|Common Signature Spells||Ajani's Mantra||Jace's Erasure||Liliana's Specter||Chandra's Outrage||Garruk's Companion|
|Each of these common spells contains the name of one of the five original planeswalkers from Lorwyn, and is meant to replicate and/or benefit from that planewalker's abilities.|
|Tribal Lords||Knight Exemplar
|Each of these rare creatures gives other creatures of their type +1/+1 and has an additional ability related to them. (Last three are reprints from Magic 2010.)|
|Leylines||Leyline of Sanctity||Leyline of Anticipation||Leyline of the Void||Leyline of Punishment||Leyline of Vitality|
|Each of these rare enchantments costs plus 2 mana of the appropriate color. Each can start the game in play if it is in a player's opening hand. (Leyline of the Void reprinted from Guildpact)|
|Mythic Titans||Sun Titan||Frost Titan||Grave Titan||Inferno Titan||Primeval Titan|
|Each of these mythic rare giants are 6/6, cost 4MM, have a color themed ability (Vigilance, firebreathing etc.) and have a powerful ability that is triggered by them entering the battlefield or attacking. |
|Allied color check lands||Glacial Fortress||Drowned Catacomb||Dragonskull Summit||Rootbound Crag||Sunpetal Grove|
|Each of these rare dual lands comes into play tapped unless you control a land with one of the appropriate types. (Reprinted from Magic 2010.) |
|Elemental Servants||Air Servant||Water Servant||Fire Servant||Earth Servant|
|These four uncommon Elemental creature are instead based on the traditional four Elements. These four are added to the core set as Air Elemental was removed, the last Elemental of four Elementals that were in Alpha.|
Magic 2011 has two mirrored pairs.
|Common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness.|
|Uncommon Knights with a mana cost of MM, power/toughness of 2/2, first strike and protection from the other's color.|
Magic 2011 reprinted the white, blue and black members of the hoser cycle from Magic 2010, as they were widely used as sideboard cards. Red and green get new, more powerful hoser cards to deal with their enemy colors. Green also gets Plummet, one of the most efficient anti-flying hosers ever printed.
Core set changes and reprints
As a Core Set, Magic 2011 has a higher ratio of reprints than usual. 93 out of 229 cards found in Magic 2011 appeared in Magic 2010, either as original printings or reprints from earlier sets.
- Notable changes
- With the removal of Mesa Enchantress, Magic 2011 is the first core set to not have an Enchantress. Mesa Enchantress replaced Verduran Enchantress in Magic 2010. Both have been used in Enchantress decks. Magic 2011 is also the first core set to contain no Auras that enchant lands.
As of Magic 2011, intro packs would again be sixty card decks, rather than the 41 card decks they had been since Shards of Alara. They still came with a 16-card booster enclosed.
|Intro pack name||Colors Included||Foil rare|
|Blades of Victory||W||B||Angelic Arbiter|
|Power of Prophecy||W||U||Conundrum Sphinx|
|Reign of Vampirism||B||G||Captivating Vampire|
|Breath of Fire||U||R||Ancient Hellkite|
|Stampede of Beasts||R||G||Overwhelming Stampede|
Apart from the two cycles of planeswalker's spells, Magic 2011 contains a number of new cards that pay homage to Magic's past:
- Barony Vampire appears to be from the Dark Barony on Ulgrotha.
- Dryad's Favor depicts a Borderland Ranger in its artwork.
- Elixir of Immortality has flavor text attributed to Baron Sengir of the Dark Barony.
- Roc Egg is a reference to the card Rukh Egg from Arabian Nights.
- Hornet Sting is a reference to the card Bee Sting from Portal and Portal Second Age.
- Serra Ascendant refers to the pre-mending planeswalker Serra and her plane.
- Sword of Vengeance looks like the sword of the archangel Akroma, and grants some of her abilities to the creature it equips.
- Product info
- Tim Willoughby (July 05, 2010). "M11 Prerelease Primer — Putting the Fun in Fundamentals". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (June 28, 2010). "Magic 2011 Has Big Shoes to Fill". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (May 25, 2010). "Magic 2011 Intro Packs". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (May 26, 2010). "Magic 2011 Fat Pack". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (May 24, 2010). "Magic 2011 Boosters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 14, 2010). "Magic 2011 Prerelease and Launch Party Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 12, 2010). "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 01, 2010). "Magic 2011 Tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (July 09, 2010). "My Favorite Things About Magic 2011". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 28, 2010). "Magic Goes To Eleven". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (July 02, 2010). "Scry Havoc". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (July 16, 2010). "More than Meets the Eye". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (July 14, 2010). "Planeswalkers' Signature Spells". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 5, 2010). "Eleven Sent". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (July 07, 2010). "Target: Face". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (July 30, 2010). "Titanic Trouble". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 30, 2010). "The Titans of M11". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (June 04, 2010). "Core Samples". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.