Mark Globus (lead),|
Dave Guskin (lead)|
With contributions from
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||July 19, 2013|
|Themes and mechanics||Slivers|
(101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares, 20 basic lands)
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
|“||Ignite your spark||”|
Magic 2014 contains 249 cards (101 Common, 60 Uncommon, 53 Rare, 15 Mythic, 20 Basic Lands), including randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The returning mechanic for this Core Set was Slivers.
Even more than the previous set, Magic 2014 is strongly integrated with its digital counterpart, Duels of the Planeswalkers. In celebration of Magic 's 20th anniversary, the logo of the set has the mythic orange / bronze color instead of the usual yellow or blue.
Design and development teams were officially referred to as "Initial Concept and Game Design" and "Final Game Design and Development" teams, respectively. Although these names had previously been internally in use at Wizards of the Coast, this announcement was the first to use them in an official capacity.
The set puts the spotlight on Chandra. This meant a new Planeswalker card aimed at making a splash in Constructed, many Chandra-themed support cards, and flavor throughout the set attached to her persona.
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Prisoner of the Skep||Jennifer Clarke Wilkes||2013-06-26||Shandalar||Slivers|
|The Armor in the Crypt||Ari Levitch||2013-07-03||Unknown plane||Haunted Plate Mail|
|The Path of Bravery||Adam Lee||2013-07-10||Shandalar||Scourge of Valkas|
|Pride Cometh||Adam Lee||2013-07-17||Dominaria (?)||Goblins, Fleshpulper Giant|
|A Blessed Life||Nik Davidson||2013-07-24||Unknown plane||Angelic Accord|
|Zurbit's Day||Adam Lee||2013-07-31||Shandalar||Scroll Thief|
Magic 2014 was is sold in 16-card booster packs, five Intro packs, one event decks, Booster Battle Packs, a fat pack, the 2014 Deck Builder's Toolkit and a Land Station. The boosters feature art from Archangel of Thune, Chandra, Pyromaster, Garruk, Caller of Beasts, Syphon Sliver and Fiendslayer Paladin. With each copy of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 a six card Magic 2013 sampler could be obtained; there were five different samplers, one for each platform. The 6-card boosters (the last to be released) featured art from Banisher Priest. Prerelease Events took place July 13–14, 2013. Game Day took place on August 10–11, 2013. The Magic Online release was on July 29, 2013.
- Prerelease: Megantic Sliver
- Launch promo: Colossal Whale
- Game Day: full-art Hive Stirrings
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art Goblin Diplomats
- Core set league: alternate art 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token
- Buy-a-Box: Ratchet Bomb
- 1/1 Sliver produced by Hive Stirrings.
- 4/4 Angel with flying produced by Angelic Accord and Devout Invocation..
- 2/2 Cat produced by Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Ajani's Chosen.
- 0/1 Goat produced by Trading Post.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Liliana's Reaver, Vile Rebirth and Xathrid Necromancer
- 2/2 Dragon produced by Dragon Egg.
- 1/1 Elemental (two versions) produced by Molten Birth and Young Pyromancer.
- 3/3 Beast produced by Primeval Bounty.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Sporemound.
- 2/2 Wolf produced by Howl of the NIght Pack
- Emblem for Garruk, Caller of Beasts
- Emblem for Liliana of the Dark Realms
The Magic 2014 Core Set came with five thirty-card sample decks.
- The 'Legend rule' was changed. Legendary permanents of the same name and Planeswalker cards of the same type were now only placed into the graveyard if they are controlled by the same player. For example, if player A controls a Jace Beleren and player B controls Jace, the Mind Sculptor, nothing happens when before both cards would be placed into the graveyard. However, if player A had control of both, that player will choose one of those cards and that card will be placed in the graveyard will the other remains.
- Sideboards in constructed play now could contain up to 15 cards, rather than the rule of either 15 or 0 cards before. Also it is permitted to add/remove cards from the main deck to the sideboard (or vice versa) without swapping them for the same amount of cards, as long as the main deck contains more than 60 and the sideboard less than 15.
- Indestructible became a keyword.
- "*this creature* is unblockable" was changed to "*this creature* can't be blocked".
- The rules for playing additional lands off of effects like Explore were streamlined.
Magic 2014 has six cycles:
Magic 2014 has one mirrored pair.
|Common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness, cause a change in life related to the toughness boost, and are illustrated by Allen Williams. The pairing is a call-back to the Alpha pair of Holy Strength and Unholy Strength.|
|Combo pieces||Festering Newt||Bubbling Cauldron||Bogbrew Witch|
|The death trigger of Festering Newt gets stronger if you control Bogbrew Witch. Bubbling Cauldron gets stronger if you sacrifice Festering Newt to it. Bogbrew Witch can fetch either of the other two cards.|
- Young Pyromancer sees tournament play in Modern and Legacy thanks to its ability to make a powerful board advantage.
- Shadowborn Apostle is a card that a deck can have any number of. At time of printing, the only other card to have this text was Relentless Rats from Fifth Dawn.
|Intro pack name||Colors Included||Foil rare|
|Psychic Labyrinth||W||U||Jace's Mindseeker|
|Death Reaper||B||R||Liliana's Reaver|
|Fire Surge||U||R||Chandra's Phoenix|
|Bestial Strength||B||G||Garruk's Horde|
Each intro pack includes an appropriate card from the Wizard Stave cycle.
|Rush of the Wild||R||G|
Core set changes
- Magic rings of Shandalar: — Ring of Thune, Ring of Evos Isle, Ring of Xathrid, Ring of Valkas, and Ring of Kalonia
- Sedge creatures: — Prized Elephant, Arctic Aven, Harbor Bandit, Crimson Muckwader, and Flinthoof Boar.
- Taplands: — Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag and Sunpetal Grove. This was the first core set since 4th Edition without a series of dual type lands in it.
- Product info
- Monty Ashley (January 7, 2013). "Announcing the Magic 2014 Core Set". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 01, 2013). "Sliver Pâté". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 05, 2013). "Twenty Things That Were Going To Kill Magic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 7, 2013). "What prompted the change in departmental titles?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Dave Guskin (July 01, 2013). "Every Fire Begins with a Spark". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (June 04, 2013). "Magic 2014 Product Shots". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (June 05, 2013). "Magic 2014 Intro Packs & D14 Boosters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (June 25, 2013). "Magic 2014 — Core Set Promos & Tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 23, 2013). "Magic 2014 Core Set Rules Preview". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (May 23, 2013). "Legendary Rule Change". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (July 09, 2013). "Magic 2014 Intro Pack Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (July 24, 2013). "Magic 2014 Event Deck". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering 2014 Core Set product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Trick Jarrett (March 27, 2013). "Magic 2014 Trailer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.