|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
5 cardsas of Core Set 2021
- Not to be confused with Manticore.
Masticore is a creature type used for artifact creatures, which is to be distinguished from manticores. While a manticore is a flying, ferocious, red-aligned, lion-like beast, a masticore is a non-flying, still-ferocious, metallic lion-like beast. Manticores are fleshy and flying; masticores are galvanized and grounded.
Masticores usually have a stinging, barbed tail just like a manticore, but they also tend to have lines of razor-like metal teeth (to do the masticating). The name is based off the word masticate, meaning 'to eat'. 
Five masticores have been printed: Masticore (Urza's Destiny), Razormane Masticore (Fifth Dawn), Molten-Tail Masticore (Scars of Mirrodin), Lesser Masticore (Modern Horizons), and Sparkhunter Masticore (Core Set 2021). All Masticores have an ability to deal damage, cause a discard in some form, and all but one have a removal-resisting ability.
- Monty Ashley (November 01, 2010). "A Brief History of Masticores". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (August 10, 2011). "Magic's Exclusive Creatures". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (November 17, 2010). "The Human Cultures of Mirrodin". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (Wednesday, January 2, 2002.). "In the Beginning...". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (February, 2002). "Ask Wizards - February, 2002". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.