Mazirek's ambition and the encouragement by his friend Vraska brought the long-maligned Kraul to the fore as a force to be reckoned with in the Swarm. His arcane clicks and buzzing could summon crippling necromantic magic, and the mere presence of death seemed to fortify him. He drew power from the demise of his enemies and channeled it to his followers. He raised the Erstwhile, and helped Vraska to overthrow the reign of Jarad vod Savo.
In the run-up to the War of the Spark, Mazirek was revealed by Vraska to have been a pawn of Bolas. As Mazirek was the one who had awakened the Erstwhile, none of them - even free-willed liches like Storrev - could disobey a direct order or refuse a question from him. However, when Mazirek turned on Vraska, Storrev misled him and had him killed by a Rakdos Comedy Troupe for enslaving the Erstwhile, and for betraying the Swarm.
- Represented in:
- Depicted in:
- Quoted or referred to:
- Django Wexler (September 11, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Fourteen.
- Django Wexler (September 25, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Sixteen.
- Alison Luhrs (May 31, 2017). "Pride of the Kraul". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
- Django Wexler (June, 2019), The Gathering Storm Chapter Two.
- Django Wexler (October 23, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Twenty, Del Rey.
- Greg Weisman (May 29, 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica – Desperate Operatives". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.