Fallen Empires (mechanic)|
Magic Origins (keyword)
|Reminder Text||Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)|
2.1% 1% 42.7% 33.3% 1% 2.1% 7.3% 1% 2.1% 1% 4.2% 2.1%
History[edit | edit source]
Menace was introduced in Magic Origins to replace Intimidate which had turned out to be too "swingy"—its strength varied too heavily based on the colors of the opponent's deck. The Menace mechanic had existed since Goblin War Drums from Fallen Empires and used to be primary in black and secondary in red. Nowadays menace is primary in both black and red. There's been some talk that a third color should be secondary or tertiary.
Some older cards with this ability received errata so they now have menace.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- An evasion ability that makes creatures unblockable by a single creature. See rule 702.110, “Menace.”
- 702.110. Menace
- 702.110a Menace is an evasion ability.
- 702.110b A creature with menace can’t be blocked except by two or more creatures. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)
- 702.110c Multiple instances of menace on the same creature are redundant.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Once a creature with menace is legally blocked by two or more creatures, removing those blockers from combat won't change or undo the block.
Example[edit | edit source]
Creature — Goblin Warrior
Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
Cards that grant menace[edit | edit source]
- Angrath, Captain of Chaos (planeswalker)
- Belligerent Sliver (Slivers you control)
- Blood-Chin Rager (Warriors you control, on attack)
- Blood Curdle (as a menace counter)
- Call of the Death-Dweller (as a menace counter)
- Captain's Hook (equipment)
- Caterwauling Boggart (Goblins and Elementals you control)
- Chitinous Cloak (Equipment)
- Frenzied Rage (Aura)
- Frillscare Mentor (as a menace counter)
- Giant Spectacle (Aura)
- Glaive of the Guildpact (equipment)
- Goblin War Drums (Enchantment)
- Graf Harvest (Zombies you control)
- Grusilda, Monster Masher (Combined, Enchanted, Equipped creature you control)
- Gruul War Chant (enchantment)
- Hagra Constrictor (creatures you control with a +1/+1 counter)
- Hazmat Suit (Used) (un-Aura)
- Imposing Visage (Aura)
- Iroas, God of Victory (God)
- Lucielle (equipment)
- Madcap Skills (Aura)
- Piper of the Swarm (Rats you control)
- Ravager's Mace (Equipment)
- Two-Headed Sliver (Slivers you control)
- Untamed Hunger (Aura)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (December 09, 2018). "Are you happy with menace, as it exists today?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (June 22, 2015). "Magic Origins Mechanics Article". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July 8, 2015). "Magic Origins Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.