- Not to be confused with Subgame.
Magic minigames were introduced in the Set Boosters of Zendikar Rising. Minigames are alternative ways to use the cards of a booster pack for a small and lighthearted activity of amusement and fun.
The rules of the minigame fit on one double-sided card. Minigame cards appear in the marketing card spot of 5% of the Set Boosters. Zendikar Rising featured five different minigames. Additional games appeared in the Set Boosters for Kaldheim, Strixhaven: School of Mages, Modern Horizons 2, and Adventures in the Forgotten Realms.
- Base Race — A grid-based strategy game where you take turns moving cards to uncover the location of your opponent's face-down land.
- Booster Blitz — Best your opponents in a series of fast Magic games using only the cards in a single pack.
- Booster Sleuth — A deduction game where you try to figure out four key facts about a secret card using just the other cards in the pack as clues.
- Careful Study — Memorization and question game about a card your team chooses (I.E., artist, collector number, P/T)
- Dominarioes — Connect all cards in the most condensed way possible.
- Foraging Squirrels — A grid-based strategy game about collecting food (face-up cards).
- Magic & Minions — A role-playing minigame with simplified Dungeons & Dragons mechanics. One player is the DM, whose cards are used to set a series of six encounters. The other three players are adventurers, whose cards represent role-playing actions.
- Mishra's Manufactory — Build an "invention" from other cards down the conveyor belt.
- Mimic Match — Collect cards by pairing them up by color or mana value. Among the cards are two mimics (lands), which can only be matched with each other, ending the game.
- Roil Royale — The simplest game of the batch, relying almost entirely on chance. Be the first player to locate the ruins while avoiding the wrath of the Roil.
- Roll for Initiative! — A simple card game where players use their cards to manipulate each others' starting d20 rolls and finish with the highest total initiative.
- Strictly Better — A group party game where you match cards to a list of traits.
- Totally Lost in Translation — Ask questions and learn the mystery card.
- Urza's Blueprints — Race to assemble the Urzatron
- Winchester Draft — Two player draft format
- Day vs. Night —
- Into the Story: Horror Edition —
|Magic & Minions||3|
|Roll for Initiative!||5|
|Totally Lost in Translation||5||2|
|Day vs. Night||2|
|Into the Story: Horror Edition||3|
The rules cards
- Annie Sardelis (September 14, 2020). "Magic Minigames". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 17, 2021). "Please give a high five to whomevers idea it was...". Blogatog. Tumblr.