Tag: Visual edit: Switched
|Line 347:||Line 347:|
Revision as of 03:16, 2 June 2021
|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Modern Horizons 2|
|Symbol description||Two Modern Horizons symbols overlapping each other|
Ethan Fleischer (lead)|
Aaron Forsythe (lead)|
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||June 18, 2021|
|Themes and mechanics||Modern power level, Merfolk, Sagas, +1/+1 counters, Dakkon Blackblade, multicolor|
|Keywords/ability words||Madness and multiple other|
|Set size||303 + 189 + 43|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprints
- 5 Changes in rarity
- 6 Notable cards
- 7 References
Like Modern Horizons, this set introduces new cards into Modern and eternal formats without them ever being legal in Standard. It features a host of powerful new toolbox cards, strong themes to try out, and several throwbacks. The set was unique in its development in that it brought in four high-profile Magic personolaties (Zac Elsik, Sam Black, Brian Braun-Duin, and Brad Nelson, the latter two of whom were in the Magic Pro League at the time) to consult.
This set contains 303 regular cards (101 commons, 100 uncommons, 78 rares, 24 mythic rares) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. New cards and in-Modern reprints are numbered #001-#261, while the New-to-Modern reprints are numbered #262-#303. Alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #304-306, followed by the other borderless cards #307-326. The (54) showcase "sketch cards" are numbered #327-380. The (61) retro frame cards are #381-441 and cards with extended artwork are numbered #442-480 and Bundle basic lands are #481-490, the Buy-a-Box card is #491 and the Bundle promo is #492. MH1 retro frame cards (only found in Collector Boosters) are numbered separately #1-43 with set code ???
All five enemy colored fetch lands appear at rare in the set and can be found in regular Draft Boosters. The Set - and Collector Boosters include extended art versions and retro (pre-Modern) card frame treatments for the fetch lands and many other cards. Another frame treatment is seen on the showcase "sketch cards". These feature the artist's sketch of the main card artwork, and only is featured for new cards. Instead of flavor text, some of them feature fragments from the art description that was sent to the artists when creating each card's artwork.
In addition to Draft Boosters, Modern Horizons 2 is sold in Set Boosters and Collector Boosters. As such, this is the first supplemental set to feature Set - and Collector Boosters. Each Set Booster contains a guaranteed traditional foil, an art card, a New-to-Modern reprint and a guaranteed rare/mythic rare. Collector Boosters feature foil-etched, retro frame and sketch cards cards. Another first for a supplemental set is that it features a Modern Horizons 2 Bundle.
The Draft Boosters feature artwork from Dakkon Blackblade (key art), Geyadrone Dihada and Svyelun of Sea and Sky. The Collector Booster features artwork from Graceful Restoration, and the Set Booster from Chatterfang, Squirrel General.
With the release of Modern Horizons 2, 50 cards were rotated into The List, many of which were thematically or mechanically linked to the set.
|Version||Treatment||Draft Booster||Set Booster||Collector Booster|
|Non-foil||Showcase sketch art|
|Non-foil||Showcase retro frame|
|Non-foil||Card from The List|
|Traditional foil||Showcase sketch art|
|Traditional foil||Showcase retro frame|
|Traditional foil||Extended art|
|Traditional foil||Showcase retro frame (MH1 reprint)|
|Traditional foil||Art card (stamped)|
|Traditional foil||Buy-a-Box promo|
|Traditional foil||Bundle promo (alternate art)|
|Foil-etched||Regular basic land|
|Foil-etched||Showcase retro frame|
|Foil-etched||Showcase retro frame (MH1 reprint)|
- Magic Online release: June 3, 2021
- Tabletop Prerelease: June 11–17, 2021
- Prerelease promo: there is a total of 60 rares and 20 mythic rares that you could get as your foil-stamped Prerelease card. These include all the newly introduced Modern Horizons 2 rares and mythic rares as well as the reprint enemy fetch lands.
- Buy-a-Box: exclusive foil alternate art Sanctum Prelate with retro frame.
- Isn't found in any other Modern Horizons 2 product.
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art Yusri, Fortune's Flame
Modern Horizons 2 features 21 tokens.
- 1/1 Bird creature with flying, for Scour the Desert.
- 0/3 Crab creature, for Hard Evidence, Scuttletide, and Specimen Collector.
- 4/4 Eternalized Timeless Dragon.
- 4/4 Eternalized Timeless Witness.
- 0/0 Phyrexian Germ creature, for Batterbone, Kaldra Compleat and Nettlecyst.
- 0/0 Zombie Army creature, for Lazotep Chancellor.
- 1/1 Goblin creature, for Goblin Traprunner.
- 3/3 Elephant creature, for Generous Gift
- 4/4 Beast creature, for Combine Chrysalis, Herd Baloth, and Hunting Pack
- 5/3 Elemental creature, for Titania, Protector of Argoth.
- 1/1 Squirrel creature, for Chatterfang, Squirrel General, Chatterstorm, Chitterspitter, Drey Keeper, Scurry Oak, Specimen Collector, Squirrel Sanctuary, Underworld Hermit, and Verdant Command.
- 1/1 Insect creature, for Grist, the Hunger Tide.
- 4/4 Golem artifact creature, for General Ferrous Rokiric.
- 0/0 Construct artifact creature with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control," for Urza's Saga.
- 1/1 Thopter artifact creature with flying, for Barbed Point, Breya's Apprentice and Sweep the Skies.
- Clue artifact, for Academy Manufactor, Fae Offering, Floodhound, Funnel-Web Recluse, Hard Evidence, Lonis, Cryptozoologist, and Search the Premises.
- Food artifact, for Academy Manufactor, Fae Offering, Late to Dinner, Orchard Strider, Tireless Provisioner, and The Underworld Cookbook.
- Treasure artifact, for Academy Manufactor, Fae Offering, Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer, Strike it Rich, Tavern Scoundrel, and Tireless Provisioner.
- Copy, for Aeve, Progenitor Ooze and Garth One-Eye.
Themes and mechanics
The set was announced to have a higher power level and greater complexity with even more of what players loved in Modern Horizons. It had access to more mechanics, eventually featuring 59 named non-evergreen mechanics (listed here). Some of the are mixed and matched. In addition, it makes more use of legendary creatures, and leans a little heavier into multicolor.
A new variant on an evergreen mechanic is Trample over planeswalkers (This creature can deal excess damage to the controller of the planeswalker it’s attacking).
- : "Artifacts matter" (including Affinity) (Ethersworn Sphinx)
- : "Self-discard" matters (Lazotep Chancellor)
- : Madness aggro (Rakdos Headliner)
- : Storm (Road // Ruin)
- : +1/+1 counters (Arcus Acolyte)
- : Reanimator (Graceful Restoration)
- : Delirium (Prophetic Titan)
- : Sacrifice, Squirrel tribal (Ravenous Squirrel)
- : Modular artifact aggro (Arcbound Shikari)
- : Number of token types matters (Combine Chrysalis)
- : Converge
- Modern Horizons 2 introduces the Dakkon, Dihada and Grist planeswalker types.
- Modern Horizons 2 introduces the first black-bordered enchantment land (Urza's Saga). It functions both as a Saga and a land until it is sacrificed.
- The set also sees the first new tribal card since Rise of the Eldrazi, and the first new Incarnations since Lorwyn.
- Merfolk and squirrels are strongly-supported tribes in MH2.
- Tokens created by Living weapon are errata'd into Phyrexian Germs.
Modern Horizons 2 has at least nine cycles, including four double cycles.
|Five mythic rare Elemental Incarnation creatures, each with an evoke cost of exiling a card of the same color from your hand (i.e. a pitch spell.)|
|Glimpse of Tomorrow
|Gaea's Will |
|Five rare sorceries with suspend, no mana cost, and an effect of a powerful spell from Magic's past. Sol Talisman does the same thing for Sol Ring.|
|Converge spells||Prismatic Ending||Sweep the Skies||Radiant Epicure||Kaleidoscorch||Glinting Creeper|
|Five uncommon spells with converge.|
|Basic landcyclers||Landscaper Colos||Mental Journey||World-Weary||Battle Plan||Orchard Strider|
|Five common high cost spells with basic landcycling M.|
|Enemy color fetch lands||Marsh Flats||Scalding Tarn||Verdant Catacombs||Arid Mesa||Misty Rainforest|
|Each of these rare lands can be sacrificed along with a payment of 1 life to search for one of two basic land types. Reprinted from Zendikar.|
|Rare spells||Moderation||Master of Death||Asmoranomardica-daistinaculdacar||Territorial Kavu||Sythis, Hand of the Harvest||Priest of Fell Rites||Yusri, Fortune's Flame||Carth the Lion||General Ferrous Rokiric||Lonis, Cryptozoologist|
|Ten rare spells.|
|Uncommon signposts||Ethersworn Sphinx||Lazotep Chancellor||Rakdos Headliner||Road // Ruin||Arcus Acolyte||Graceful Restoration||Prophetic Titan||Ravenous Squirrel||Arcbound Shikari||Combine Chrysalis|
|Ten uncommon spells, each one a signpost for its respective draft archetype.|
|Common signposts||Chrome Courier||Captured by Lagacs||Breathless Knight||Drey Keeper|
|Ten common spells, each one a signpost for its respective draft archetype.|
|Bridges||Razortide Bridge||Mistvault Bridge||Drossforge Bridge||Slagwoods Bridge||Thornglint Bridge||Goldmire Bridge||Silverbluff Bridge||Darkmoss Bridge||Rustvale Bridge||Tanglepool Bridge|
|Ten common artifact taplands with indestructible.|
47 of the cards in the set are reprints, of which 42 are new to Modern. The latter all have a watermark of their original printing's set symbol, similar to Masters 25; except for Sanctum Prelate, which is only printed in the retro frame. These reprints occupy a unique slot in boosters.
There are also 40 retro frame reprints of MH1 favorites: they are reprinted with the MH1 set symbol and aren't part of MH2 proper. These are only available through Collector Boosters as foils or etched foils, and all commons are upshifted to uncommon.
- Archmage's Charm
- Ayula, Queen Among Bears
- Deep Forest Hermit
- Etchings of the Chosen
- Faerie Seer
- Force of Negation
- Generous Gift
- Giver of Runes
- Goblin Engineer
- Hall of Heliod's Generosity
- Ice-Fang Coatl
- Ingenious Infiltrator
- King of the Pride
- Llanowar Tribe
- Plague Engineer
- Prismatic Vista
- Ranger-Captain of Eos
- Scale Up
- Sisat, Weatherlight Captain
- Sword of Sinew and Steel
- Sword of Truth and Justice
- Talisman of Conviction
- Talisman of Creativity
- Talisman of Curiosity
- Talisman of Hierarchy
- Talisman of Resilience
- The First Sliver
- Tribute Mage
- Undead Augur
- Universal Automaton
- Urza, Lord High Artificer
- Weather the Storm
Changes in rarity
Mythic rare to rare
Rare to uncommon
Rare to common
Uncommon to mythic rare
Uncommon to rare
Common to rare
Common to uncommon
- ^* MH1 reprint
- Aeve, Progenitor Ooze is the first creature with storm.
- Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is the first creature spell with no mana cost, due to its name being too long.
- Dermotaxi is the first vehicle without crew.
- Power Depot is the first non-creature artifact with modular.
- Urza's Saga is an enchantment land and another in the line of cards with the name of a set. Its subtypes create a stealthy pun that also forms the name of the set and refers to the Urzatron lands.
|Aeromoeba||Aquamoeba||A larger, flying Aquamoeba, with a similar flavor text scheme and abilities.|
|Altar of the Goyf||Tarmogoyf||A tribal Lhurgoyf card, which boosts it for most of Tarmogoyf's stats.|
|Arcbound Javelineer||Icatian Javelineers|
|Arcbound Slasher||Slash Panther|
|Arcbound Whelp||Furnace Whelp||An artificial Furnace Whelp.|
|Archfiend of Sorrows||Drown in Sorrow||A Demon that casts Drown in Sorrow at your opponents. Color scheme is similar.|
|Archon of Cruelty||Cruel Ultimatum, Grave Titan||A 6/6 Archon that casts a portion of Cruel Ultimatum with a "Titan trigger."|
|Batterbone||Batterskull||Both are living weapons with vigilance and lifelink. The new card is a cheaper and smaller version of the older card.|
|Blazing Rootwalla||Basking Rootwalla||Both are 1MV 1/1 Lizards with madness and a once-per-turn pump ability/|
|Bloodbraid Marauder||Bloodbraid Elf|
|Blossoming Calm||Blossoming Defense||Effectively casts Blossoming Defense on a player.|
|Bone Shards||Bone Splinters|
|Bottle Golems||Bottle Gnomes||Similar art, flavor text and abilities.|
|Brainstone||Mind Stone and Brainstorm|
|Breya's Apprentice||Breya, Etherium Shaper, Loyal Apprentice|
|Calibrated Blast||Erratic Explosion, Explosive Revelation||An Erratic Explosion that swaps the choosing and revealing, allowing it to be calibrated to the appropriate target - ironically, the new version randomizes the revealed cards whereas the previous template allowed selection. Same mana cost as Erratic Explosion, and the card advantage of the flashback ability is reflected in the flashback cost being the same as Explosive Revelation, which drew the revealed card.|
|Chatterstorm||Chatter of the Squirrel and Crow Storm||A storm version of Chatter of the Squirrel.|
|Dakkon, Shadow Slayer||Dakkon Blackblade||The number of loyalty counters Dakkon, Shadow Slayer enters with is determined by the number of lands you control, like the original Dakkon Blackblade's power/toughness.|
|Damn||Damnation, Wrath of God||A smaller version of Damnation, which can overload into Wrath of God.|
|Diamond Lion||Lion's Eye Diamond||Both artifacts that force the controller to sacrifice the permanent and discard their hand to add three mana of one color. References Afari, author of the Tales of Jamuraa, for the first since Visions. The lion's pendant matches the earring in the original art.|
|Drey Keeper||Deranged Hermit||Both create Squirrel tokens and pump Squirrels.|
|Echoing Return||Echoing Truth et al||Another spell dealing with cards of the same name.|
|Faithless Salvaging||Faithless Looting|
|Flame Blitz||Curse of Vitality et al||Depicts The Unluckiest.|
|Flametongue Yearling||Flametongue Kavu||A young Flametongue Kavu who can pump itself to deal higher damage when it enters the battlefield. The picture matches the original art.|
|Fractured Sanity||Sanity Grinding, Decree of Justice et al||A card that if cycled has a similar but lesser effect than if it was hardcast. The spell takes the mana cost, name, and effect (milling) from Sanity Grinding.|
|Gaea's Will||Yawgmoth's Will||A green suspended Will with updated templating, referencing the Time Spiral costless suspend cycle.|
|Gargadon||Greater Gargadon, Lesser Gargadon||A smaller Greater Gargadon in name, art, and suspend ability.|
|Garth One-Eye||Black Lotus, Disenchant, Braingeyser, Terror, Shivan Dragon, Regrowth||A character from the lore in 1994, shown to master five colors of magic - and so, has six iconic spells from all colors plus artifacts. Foreshadowed by Growth Charm.|
|General Ferrous Rokiric||Hero of Precinct One||A powered-up Hero, also from Ravnica. The art style is similar; a figure flanked by its summoned tokens.|
|Ghost-Lit Drifter||Shinen of Flight's Wings, Ghost-Lit Warder, Arashi, the Sky Asunder||A composite of all three channel designs - the purpose of the common, the name of the uncommon, and the single/X-to-all of the rare.|
|Glimmer Bairn||Gilder Bairn||Both Ouphes, with art by Nils Hamm.|
|Glimpse of Tomorrow||Warp World, Ancestral Vision||A one-sided Warp World, with suspend cost and art direction similar to Ancestral Vision.|
|Healer's Flock||Healer's Hawk||Three Healer's Hawks stuck together, with all that entails.|
|Ignoble Hierarch||Noble Hierarch||Jund's answer to Noble Hierarch.|
|Inevitable Betrayal||Bribery, Mahamoti Djinn||A cheaper costed Bribery, also referencing the costless suspend cycle, depicting the Djinn.|
|Jade Avenger||Chub Toad, bushido||A Frog Samurai playing off the joke that Chub Toad had bushido 2 long before it was keyworded (and so should be a Samurai). Similar flavor text.|
|Kaldra Compleat||Helm of Kaldra, Shield of Kaldra, Sword of Kaldra||A mockery of the Avatar Kaldra, with a Germ inhabiting the entire equipment rather than the 4/4 Avatar.|
|Legion Vanguard||Viscera Seer||Vampires who sacrifice a creature to manipulate the top of the library.|
|Liquimetal Torque||Liquimetal Coating||Same mana value, art style, and ability to turn nonland permanents into artifacts.|
|Magus of the Bridge||Bridge from Below||Bridge from Below on legs.|
|Monoskelion||Triskelion||A smaller Triskelion, only having 1/3 the counters and 1/3 the mana cost.|
|Necrogoyf||Lhurgoyf, Necrogen Mists||A Lhurgoyf that feeds itself and others like it with its discard ability.|
|Nettlecyst||All That Glitters, living weapon||An equipment version of All That Glitters.|
|Ornithopter of Paradise||Ornithopter, Birds of Paradise||The two combined into one.|
|Out of Time||Parallax Wave||Enchantments that removes creatures until itself later expires, but with opposite purposes: Parallax Wave is a precision tool for creature decks, while Out of Time is a board wipe with downside.|
|Phantasmal Dreadmaw||Colossal Dreadmaw, Phantasmal Dragon||An Illusion version of Colossal Dreadmaw that sacrifices itself upon being targeted.|
|Piru, the Volatile||Legends Elder dragons cycle (Chromium, etc.)||Another of the Elder Dragons of Dominaria, who was the life partner of Chromium Rhuell and slain by Dakkon Blackblade.|
|Profane Tutor||Demonic Tutor, the costless suspend spells from Time Spiral||A spell with no mana cost and both a suspend cost and effect that mirrors Demonic Tutor.|
|Prophetic Titan||Prophetic Bolt||If you have delirium, the Titan is Prophetic Bolt on a stick.|
|Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer||Kari Zev, Skyship Raider||Kari's pet, striking out on their own: the dash ability resembles Kari's ability to have Ragavan enter only for combat.|
|Rift Sower||Search for Tomorrow||The "searcher of tomorrow" as depicted, with the same mana and suspend costs.|
|Rise and Shine||Animating Faerie||Bring to Life on its own, and with overload.|
|Rishadan Dockhand||Rishadan Port||Rishadan Port on a stick.|
|Sanctum Weaver||Serra's Sanctum||Both have similar mana abilities.|
|Scion of Draco||Draco, Scion of the Ur-Dragon||Both in name, art, and domain mana value reduction ability.|
|Sinister Starfish||Sigiled Starfish|
|Skyblade's Boon||Gryff's Boon, Sephara, Sky's Blade|
|Sol Talisman||Mox Tantalite, Sol Ring||Both in name, art, and suspend ability.|
|Soothing Rest||Fog, Gaea's Blessing||Both in art and abilities.|
|Spreading Insurrection||Insurrection||Both in name, art, and flavor text.|
|Sudden Edict||Diabolic Edict, Sudden Death||Another edict with the naming convention and split-frame art style of the split second spells. Flavor text is vaguely reminiscent of Sudden Death.|
|Sylvan Anthem||Crusade, Season of Growth||Colorshifted Crusade with the scrying ability of Season of Growth.|
|Sythis, Harvest's Hand||Karametra, God of Harvests|
|Tavern Scoundrel||Tavern Swindler|
|Thraben Watcher||Always Watching||One of the watchers depicted in Always Watching, who also shares the buffing lord-like ability.|
|Timeless Dragon||Eternal Dragon||Both creatures are 5/5 Dragons with flying, plainscycling , and an ability that moves the dragon from the graveyard to another zone. The first creature with eternalize to return smaller than the original stats.|
|Timeless Witness||Eternal Witness||Similar in art and Regrowth-like ability, the second card plays off the use of Eternal in its name by giving it eternalize.|
|Tireless Provisioner||Tireless Tracker||Instead of Clues and a buff ability, produces Food and Treasure tokens from the landfall ability.|
|Tormod's Cryptkeeper||Tormod's Crypt||Tormod's Crypt on a stick.|
|Tourach, Dread Cantor||Hymn to Tourach, Order of the Ebon Hand||Tourach himself: the kicker effect is Hymn to Tourach, while his stats as a 2MV 2/1 with protection from white reflects his alliance with the Ebon Praetor.|
|Tourach's Canticle||Hymn to Tourach||Another song dedicated to Tourach, also involving random discard.|
|Underworld Hermit||Deranged Hermit, Evangel of Heliod||Creates Squirrel tokens equal to your devotion to black. Mana cost, ability and art direction very similar to Evangel of Heliod.|
|Unmarked Grave||Entomb||An Entomb for nonlegendary cards. Reflects how the most popular reanimation targets (Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Griselbrand, Iona, Shield of Emeria) are all legendary.|
|Verdant Command||Primal Command et al||A modal spell in the vein of the original commands with similar art.|
|Vile Gravedigger||Entomb||Both in art and abilities.|
|Void Mirror||Nether Void||A permanent that counters spells symmetrically. The shape of the relic matches the wisps in the void.|
|Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth||Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth||A legendary land that causes all lands to be treated as a specific basic land type, in addition to their other types, based on a famous location on Dominaria.|
|Young Necromancer||Young Pyromancer, Liliana Vess||A young spellcaster who imitates a famous planeswalker and wears a brooch with her face on it.|
- Mark Rosewater (March 6, 2021). "You're the head designer of Modern Horizons 2?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Information below the text box
- Mark Rosewater (May 24, 2021). "A Modern Approach, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 1, 2020). "Zendikar Debut and Announcement Day Recap". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Zendikar Adventuring Party (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (September 1, 2020).
- WPN (March 8, 2021). "Modern Horizons 2: All the Dates and Scheduling Info You Need". Wizards Play Network.
- Wizards of the Coast (March 18, 2021). "Strixhaven News + More". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Styborski (May 6, 2021). "Welcome to the Summer of Legend". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 31, 2021). "A Modern Approach, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian (May 21, 2021). "Modern Horizons 2 Product Overview". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Clayton Kroh (May 21, 2021). "Booster Fun of Modern Horizons 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian (May 21, 2021). "Collecting Modern Horizons 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN (May 6, 2021). "Modern Horizons 2: First Look". Wizards Play Network.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2020). "Sorry, I need to clarify my question a bit.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Weekly MTG: Modern Horizons 2 Previews on Twitch
- Dan Musser (May 26, 2021). "Bridges from Limited to Modern". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Previewed in the Mystical Archive Jatis (March 26, 2021). "They announced via the stream [[Abundant Harvest]] will be printed in MH2.". Reddit.
- Aaron Forsythe (May 26, 2021). "Challenge Accepted!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Editors of the Coast (May 28, 2021). "Damn". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ethan Fleischer (May 29, 2021). "DAMN". Twitter.
- Ethan Fleischer (May 29, 2021). "Every couple of years, we have the same discussion, and it always turns out the same.". Twitter.
- Paul Canavan (May 25, 2021). "Young Necromancer for Modern Horizons 2!". Twitter.