The Ninth Edition Core Game was a 2-Player Starter Set, which was released as part the Ninth Edition Core Set. It was a starter-level product that came in two versions: with or without a CD-ROM. The contents were very similar to the Eighth Edition/Core Game.
- 2 33-card preconstructed decks
- 1 seeded booster pack with 14 advanced cards (artifacts, enchantments and Instants)
- and 1 foil Serra Angel
- Two playmats to explain the different game zones
- 2 cardboard life counters
- 2 player guides which cover 1 demo game
- 1 enhanced rule book with Eighth Edition rules
- 1 CD which contains 2 explanatory test games, basic information about how to play Magic, and Magic Online software (CD-version only)
- 1 manual for Magic Online (CD-version only)
Core game cards
The Ninth Edition Core Game contains nine cards that don't appear in Ninth Edition booster packs. These cards have collector numbers that start with S, and they use the Ninth Edition expansion symbol. All of these cards are part of the Ninth Edition core set and are legal for play in all tournaments in which the Ninth Edition core set is legal.
- S1 Eager Cadet (with new creature types: Human Soldier)
- S2 Vengeance
- S3 Coral Eel
- S4 Giant Octopus
- S5 Index
- S7 Vizzerdrix
- S8 Goblin Raider (with new creature types: Goblin Warrior)
- S9 Enormous Baloth
- S10 Spined Wurm
Note: There is no card numbered S6/10.