|Introduced||Betrayers of Kamigawa|
|Last Used||Betrayers of Kamigawa|
|Reminder Text||[Subtype] Offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a [Subtype] and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed [Subtype]. Mana cost includes color.)|
1 fox offering card
1 moonfolk offering card
1 rat offering card
1 goblin offering card
1 snake offering card
Offering is a keyword ability that allows a player to sacrifice an appropriate permanent to cast a card with Offering as though it had flash and at reduced mana cost. It was introduced in Betrayers of Kamigawa in the five card "Patron" cycle, and has not been reprinted since.
- A keyword ability that modifies when you can cast a spell and how much mana you need to spend to do it. See rule 702.48, “Offering.”
- 702.48. Offering
- 702.48a Offering is a static ability that functions while the spell with offering is on the stack. “[Subtype] offering” means “As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may sacrifice a [subtype] permanent. If you chose to pay the additional cost, this spell’s total cost is reduced by the sacrificed permanent’s mana cost, and you may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.”
- 702.48b You choose which permanent to sacrifice as you make choices for the spell (see rule 601.2b), and you sacrifice that permanent as you pay the total cost (see rule 601.2h).
- 702.48c Generic mana in the sacrificed permanent’s mana cost reduces generic mana in the spell’s total cost. Colored and colorless mana in the sacrificed permanent’s mana cost reduces mana of the same type in spell’s total cost, and any excess reduces that much generic mana in spell’s total cost. (See rule 118.7.)
- Sacrificing the creature for the offering is part of the announcement of the spell. No player has priority to respond to an offering until after the creature spell is on the stack.
- You may sacrifice only one creature when using the offering ability. Multiple sacrifices aren't allowed.
- Effects that don't allow a player to cast creatures also stop a player from using the offering ability.
- Using the offering ability changes the normal result when calculating total costs [409.1f].
- With [Object] offering, you may sacrifice an [Object] with a converted mana cost of 0. You have to pay the full mana cost for the Patron, but this allows you to cast it whenever you could cast an instant.
- Colorless mana in the sacrificed creature's mana cost can only reduce generic costs. Colored mana in the sacrificed creature's mana cost reduces colored then generic costs. For example, offering a Fox that costs would reduce Patron of the Kitsune () to . Offering a Fox that costs would reduce Patron of the Kitsune to .
- The cost reduction is calculated after cost increases. A Patron of the Kitsune with a Sphere of Resistance on the battlefield would cost . Offering a Fox with a mana cost of would cover all of the Patron's cost to cast.
- Offering reduces the total cost of a spell. The converted mana cost of the spell remains the same.
- Patron of the Akki
- Patron of the Kitsune
- Patron of the Moon
- Patron of the Nezumi
- Patron of the Orochi
Patron of the Nezumi
Legendary Creature — Spirit
Rat offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a Rat and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Rat. Mana cost includes color.)
Whenever a permanent is put into an opponent's graveyard, that player loses 1 life.