(Partner with [name])
Static (1st ability)|
Triggered (2nd ability)
|Last Used||Commander Legends|
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.) |
Partner with [name] (When this creature enters the battlefield, target player may put [name] into their hand from their library, then shuffle.)
56 partner cards
1.8% 14.3% 14.3% 14.3% 14.3% 14.3% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 3.6% 3.6% 3.6% 3.6% 3.6%
32 "partner with" cards
16 "partner with" pairs
15.6% 18.8% 15.6% 18.8% 15.6% 3.1% 3.1% 3.1% 3.1% 3.1%
oracle:"Partner with [name]"
A player can have two commanders if both have partner. Because both commanders start the game in the command zone, the remaining library is only 98 cards. Your two commanders are treated individually for all other Commander rules. If either leaves the battlefield, you can return it to the command zone instead. The "commander tax", the additional cost of 2 for every time you've cast a commander from the command zone, applies individually. Combat damage dealt by each commander is similarly tracked individually. If either commander can deal 21 or more combat damage to a single player over the course of the game, that player loses.
If any card refers to your commander (or commanders in general), it means either one of the two.
- Partner, “Partner with [name]”
- A keyword ability that lets two legendary creatures or planeswalkers be your commander in the Commander variant rather than one. “Partner with [name]” is a specialized version of the ability that works even outside of the Commander variant to help two cards reach the battlefield together. See rule 702.124, “Partner,” and rule 903, “Commander.”
- 702.124. Partner
- 702.124a Partner is an ability that modifies the rules for deck construction in the Commander variant (see rule 903), and it functions before the game begins. Rather than a single legendary creature card, you may designate two legendary creature cards as your commander if each has partner.
- 702.124b Your deck must contain exactly 100 cards, including its two commanders. Both commanders begin the game in the command zone.
- 702.124c A rule or effect that refers to your commander’s color identity refers to the combined color identities of your two commanders. See rule 903.4.
- 702.124d Except for determining the color identity of your commander, the two commanders function independently. When casting a commander with partner, ignore how many times your other commander has been cast (see rule 903.6). When determining whether a player has been dealt 21 or more combat damage by the same commander, consider damage from each of your two commanders separately (see rule 903.10a).
- 702.124e If an effect refers to your commander while you have two commanders, it refers to either one. If an effect causes you to perform an action on your commander and it could affect both, you choose which it refers to at the time the effect is applied.
- 702.124f “Partner with [name]” is a variant of the partner ability. “Partner with [name]” represents two abilities. One is a static ability that modifies the rules for deck construction. Rather than a single legendary creature card, you may designate two legendary creature cards as your commander if each has a “partner with [name]” ability with the other’s name. You can’t designate two legendary cards as your commander if one has a “partner with [name]” ability and the other isn’t the named card. The other ability represented by “partner with [name]” is a triggered ability that means “When this permanent enters the battlefield, target player may search their library for a card named [name], reveal it, put it into their hand, then shuffle their library.”
Battlebond introduced this variant for Two-Headed Giant. It limits which other card can be used as co-commander, but allows a player (expected to be on your team) to search their library for the [other card] and put it in their hand. Cards with "partner with" always appear alongside their counterpart in booster packs. Note that not all the partners in Battlebond are legendary. The ones that aren't can't be commanders.
Another cycle with this variant appeared in Commander 2020.
Legendary Creature — Kor Soldier Ally
First strike, vigilance
Akiri, Line-Slinger gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
Creature — Human Druid
Partner with Lore Weaver (When this creature enters the battlefield, target player may put Lore Weaver into their hand from their library, then shuffle.)
: Untap two target lands.
- Matt Tabak (October 24, 2016). "Commander 2016 Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 24, 2016). "Howdy Partner". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "A Sneak Peek at Commander Legends". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (May 18, 2018). "Find Your Partner with Battlebond". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 21, 2018). "Battlebond Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.