|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
100%as of Kaldheim
Description[edit | edit source]
A Phyrexian is a compleated creature from Phyrexia, New Phyrexia or similar infested planes. They consist of a mixture of metal and organic matter and can appear in many forms. Phyrexians can often be recognized by features like dripping ichor, eyelessness, cysts, pustules or the expulsion of noxious gases. Phyrexians in the Machine Orthodoxy of New Phyrexia often have their skin replaced with glossy, porcelain-like armor.
History[edit | edit source]
Although Phyrexians were featured in the Magic storyline very early on, they had never appeared as such on cards. Instead they were Zombies, Minions, Horrors or similar types. Some, like Suture Priest and Tormentor Exarch were deliberately without race.
Phyrexian was regularly requested as a creature type on Blogatog. Mark Rosewater argued that the problem was that there are characters that are clearly Phyrexian by flavor, but not by appearance, and twenty-five years of history and inertia make some changes hard to do.
Phyrexian finally appeared as a creature type on a test card in the Mystery Booster set (Vazal, the Compleat), and was formally introduced in Kaldheim with the lone Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. A large creature type errata is expected, but apparently held back until the release of a set that features multiple Phyrexians.
Notable Phyrexians[edit | edit source]
- New Phyrexia
- Elesh Norn
- Glissa Sunseeker
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (November 03, 2010). "Infectiously Phyrexian Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team (April 06, 2011). "A Planeswalker's Guide to New Phyrexia: The Machine Orthodoxy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Savor the Flavor (May 11, 2011). "Getting to Know the Praetors". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 28, 2017). "Frankly it seems like a huge missed opportunity to leave no way to mechanically reference one of magics big villains.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Matt Tabak (February 2, 2021). "Kaldheim Comprehensive Rules Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 9, 2021). "What made you guys finally decide to pull the trigger on the phyrexian errata?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 8, 2021). "Is Phyrexian as a creature type going to cause a lot of errata?". Blogatog. Tumblr.