Plane of Mountains and Seas
|Plane of Mountains and Seas|
|First seen||Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling|
|Last seen||Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling|
The Plane of Mountains and Seas (Chinese: 山海時空) is the plane featured in the Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling set. It is inspired by the Chinese Classic of Mountains and Seas, a compilation of mythic geography and myth. It is home to the planeswalkers Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling.
Description[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- The Arrow Bamboo Forest: A forest with a welcoming appearance that hides its deadly hostility, it was pacified by the arrival of Jiang Yanggu.
- Cloud Dream Lake: The rainbows seen above the lake are nothing more than the ritual dancing of the Vivid Flying Fish.
- Mount Zhaoyao: Represented in Timber Gorge (Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling), it is a forest of stones that reaches the clouds and a land of wondrous treasures and strange animals.
- Ten Wizards Mountain
- The Northern Mountains: Deep in this mountain range, linger the Earth-Origin Yak, who channel the power of the earth.
- The Dark Sea of Penglai in the north.
- The Easternmost Valley, the first place Yanggu can remember
- The Western Seas: Near them lies Mount Zhaoyao.
- The Eternal Divided Realm in the south.
- Mu Yanling's village (ruined by a deluge)
- Village of the Jiuli Clan, Yanggu's foster clan
Sapient races[edit | edit source]
Other races[edit | edit source]
Notable individuals[edit | edit source]
- Chiyou, teenage Jiuli-clan fire dancer
- Jiang Yanggu, a teenage orphan who journeyed to find a legendary elixir to save his village from a waterborne plague
- Li Shan, nomad and foster father of Yanling, presumed dead
- Mu Yanling, a water mage orphaned by a deluge, seeking to study time magic to undo her foster father's death
- Mowu, Jiang Yanggu's sapient dog
- Yinglong, the Ancestor Dragon
Planeswalker visitors[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
^ While the name of the "Plane of Mountains and Seas" was coined as such on this wiki, it entered canon when it was mentioned in Greg Weisman's 2019 novel War of the Spark: Ravnica (page 172). It was subsequently back translated to Chinese.
The Global Series's name in Mandarin Chinese is 幻境奇谭, which can be translated as "Tales of Huanjing." Huanjing itself is a generic term used to convey the idea of "fantasy land." It's unclear if Huanjing was originally intended to be the name of the plane.
References[edit | edit source]
- Gavin Verhey (June 7, 2018). "Creating Global Series: Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- About the Global Series. 400C5446000001 EN.
- Chines storyline (translated on reddit)
- Mu Yanling Planeswalker Biography. Wizards of the Coast (july 2018)
[edit | edit source]