|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
57 cardsas of Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
1.8% 3.5% 73.7% 1.8% 14% 5.3%
Plant is a creature type used for cards that depict organisms that produce their own food from inorganic matter by the process of photosynthesis and that have more or less rigid cell walls containing cellulose. This definition includes mosses, but excludes fungi. Sapient trees are classified as Treefolk.
The Plant subtype was introduced relatively late. The first creature to bear the type was Utopia Tree in Invasion (though the Carnivorous Plant from The Dark and Singing Tree from Arabian Nights were later issued errata to become plants as well).
In the Grand Creature Type Update a lot of cards gained the additional Plant type. Note that while Wall of Blossoms and Tinder Wall now are Plant Walls, Wall of Wood is just a Wall. "Wood" is no longer alive, so it's no longer a Plant.
On Theros, the god Nylea honors some that she deems worthy by transforming them into trees, thereby blessing them with the long lives of trees. These trees and their decedents protect Setessa and share their wisdom. Other caryatids can be found in Ilysia in the Underworld.
Many predatory plants attract food by producing smells redolent of food, from the smell of sweet nectar to the odor of decaying meat. They then close jawlike leaves around their prey or capture them in sticky pools of digestive juice. A few plants are more active. They lunge up from the forest canopy to grab flying dinosaurs in woody claws or tangle them in vines, or they pull up their roots and creep across the forest floot in search of good hunting grounds.
- Svogthos, the Restless Tomb is a manland that can become a black and green Plant Zombie.
- As printed, Jungle Patrol made Wood Wall tokens. When Wood was eliminated from the creature type list, the card was adjusted to make and sacrifice Plant Wall tokens. But this didn't really match with other cards that made unique tokens. Jungle Patrol, therefore, reverted to "Wall tokens named Wood" and the tokens were no longer Plants. This decision was based on the original concept of Wood tokens: the Jungle Patrol has already chopped down some trees (thus creating wood), and can set them on fire (sacrificing them to create Red Mana).
- Singing-Tree (Singing Tree) and Kelp (Wall of Kelp) were also incorporated in the Plant Creature type.
- Though Plant Elemental obviously became a Plant Elemental in the update, Aboroth, Barishi and Floral Spuzzem just became Elementals. Phytotitan is again a Plant Elemental.
- The subtype of Urza's Power Plant is Power-Plant, not Plant.
- Lichenthrope is both a Plant and a Fungus.
- The Golgari guild of Ravnica features Mossdogs, Plant Hounds.
- Almost half of all Plants printed are unaggressive - 20 of them have defender, two have no power and cannot gain power, and Vigean Hydropon cannot enter combat altogether.
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Plant||Green||Creature — Plant||0/1|
|Green||Creature — Plant||0/2||Defender|
|Green||Creature — Plant||1/1|
|Kelp||Blue||Creature — Plant Wall||0/1||Defender|
|Sprouting Phytohydra||Green||Creature — Plant Hydra||0/2||Defender
Whenever Sprouting Phytohydra is dealt damage, you may put a token that's a copy of Sprouting Phytohydra onto the battlefield.